Thread: Remote-Control Planes: getting them to NZ and using them there?

Question Remote-Control Planes: getting them to NZ and using them there?

This site has been a fabulous tool in helping us plan our move to NZ. We're moving out in October and I feel that I have a good idea of what to expect, what to bring and what to ebay now. Not to mention all the valuable moral support with the roller-coaster of emotions.

However, there is one question I haven't been able to find an answer to. We have a couple of remote control model planes that we'd like to bring with us. Both planes are petrol and 40 MHz.

Assuming we've drained all the fuel and cleaned them, does anyone know of any problems we might have bringing them in or if there will be a problem using the 40MHz band in NZ?

Also - are there any RC Model aircraft clubs on the South Island?

Cheerio,
    lnz

No experience myself but the New Zealand Model Aeronautical Association looks a good place to start - http://nzmaa.org.nz/apps/main.asp
    It includes a list of permitted frequencies and includes a "Foreign to NZ converter"

I use a 2.4GHz Spektrum system on my heli .... seems to be acceptable - not sure either. Then again - might sell the heli to help fund the move etc.

Quote Originally Posted by lnz View Post
    However, there is one question I haven't been able to find an answer to. We have a couple of remote control model planes that we'd like to bring with us. Both planes are petrol and 40 MHz.

Assuming we've drained all the fuel and cleaned them, does anyone know of any problems we might have bringing them in or if there will be a problem using the 40MHz band in NZ?

Also - are there any RC Model aircraft clubs on the South Island?
    No Problems with flying RC models here in NZ, and no problems with bringing your gear for flights here. (Here we use 35, 36, 40 and 72 for aero use). Lots of clubs here as well - for details visit the NZMAA website as said elsewhere.

... however what were you doing flying IC on 40 MHz in the UK? That is strictly a car frequency in the UK and prohibited for aero use.

HTH

My brother in law is a member of the Dunedin club. They've got a flying field on the Taieri and have a pretty busy calendar of events. When you've posted once more and I can PM you I'll send you his email address and you can ask him ll the questions

I used to launch and fly model rockets in the UK (up to 6ft long big boys with 3 sections and up to 10 000ft high flights!) but i find it almost impossible to get supplies for that hobby over here sadly..

Quote Originally Posted by Leccy-Lee View Post
    I used to launch and fly model rockets in the UK (up to 6ft long big boys with 3 sections and up to 10 000ft high flights!) but i find it almost impossible to get supplies for that hobby over here sadly.
    Lee - get in touch and I'll put you in contact with a personal friend of mine who happens to be the CEO of Rocketlab. He never had a problem with supplies when it was just a hobby for him.

Default Hi

we live in Rangiora north of Christchurch & we see model planes being used at our local park .

vic

Thank-you all for the information. Sounds like we shouldn't have any problem carrying on with the sport.

As for the frequency -
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRod View Post
    ... however what were you doing flying IC on 40 MHz in the UK? That is strictly a car frequency in the UK and prohibited for aero use.
    HTH
    Sorry having a blonde moment. OH has cars, boats and planes and, yes, we do use 35MHz for the planes.

Wiki - This post should take me over the limit so yes please to the PM with your Brother-in-Law's email address.

Hi There
    one of the guys i work with in Hamilton organises shows etc with model planes and is a real fanatic hes just bought a mini jet engine for one of his models apparently. he says you can change your crystals ? doesnt mean anything to me but if you pm me with any questions i,ll print them off and ask him for you. he did the last military show in Cambridge and had quite a few planes on show there ,some actually flying.