Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Blankets!

Default Electric Blankets!

Do any of you have them....? My daughter has asked if she can have one because she feels cold in bed at night, despite extra weight bed spreads etc.

How safe are they and is there a particular brand I should look for?

Have any of you swapped cotton sheets for flannelette as well?

All my friends use flannelette sheets in winter, and a couple have leccy blankets, but none for the kids yet... maybe get her a wheatbag or two instead? Mind you if your daughter is older and past making any nasty messes overnight, then i suppose a leccy blanket would be fine! Briscoes have a sale on them this weekend, so do Farmers...

A recent thread on another forum has highlighted a few issues with leccy blankets, and the recommendation is to get them safety checked every year before you start using them again.

Oh, and I dont change to flannelette I just dont like the stuff!

Instead of using electric blanket or flannel sheet for my kids, I used fleece blanket under bedsheet as made huge difference as mattress tend to be cold without fleece blanket in winter and my MIL notice it the difference after one night I forgot to put fleece blanket on after washing bedding!

I will be putting the childrens electric blankets on their beds tomorrow. OH and I used ours for the first time last night. ( I recommend the one with the sheepskin overlay - very cosy ! ). Over the childrens EB I place a pure wool blanket and then flannelette sheets.

I have bought all my electric blankets from Farmers. Important to have the correct sized E.B for the bed size. All their brands are very reputable. Childrens blankets come with a safety " trigger " ie the blankets switch off automatically if the temperature is too high. Some EBs are waterproof too but are more expensive.

They should be checked yearly - as previously mentioned. I store mine loosely rolled ( not folded ), and will manually check. Actually I may very well take them for a WOF. Can't be too careful eh.

Up until yesterday I would have chuckled and thought 'southern softies' at the mention of an electric blanket. After freezing my wotsits off all night and feeling really cold and miserable all day, I'm reading with intense interest and total commitment. I never realised I could feel this cold - and it's not even proper winter yet. Or is it? Suddenly and electric blanket, flannelette sheets and a fleece underblanket sound very, very appealing.

How I miss my Rayburn back in Wales.

Default yup !

missing that wall to wall heat here too !

Being a lady of certain years ( prematurely i may add ) I very considerately lye on mt husbands side of the bed untill he gets in .. I then retire to my own (cool) side . He's happy & so am I ... I'm now referred to as the " hot water wife "

Vic

We didn't have a leccy blanket till we moved to this house... we've got a dual control one so I have have my side toasty and OH can have his lukewarm side It can be washed in the washing machine too which is an option I definitely wanted and auto cut-off timers as I worry that I'll get zapped in the night and so it'll stay on for a bit while i nod off ... got it in Farmers - around $200 but worth every cent.

Hot water bottles, anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Hot water bottles, anybody?
    Got them unpacked ready ....but as we are in modern house this winter am hoping it will never get cold enough to need them. Don't want another winter waking up in the morning to temperature below WHO miniumum healthy temp. Don't own electric blankets and there is no way OH would let me buy any....would cost a fortune for whole family

Yes I used hot water bottles last night and tonight for the kids and they were delighted. Happy memories of my childhood brought back as well. Put fleecy blankets under the sheets and then wrapped the kids pj's in the hot water bottles in their beds (two for each and rotated them from youngest to oldest). Pj's nice and hot when they came out of bath and then they slipped into their cosy beds. I don't leave the water bottles in their beds though so they were all transferred over to ours so must go and enjoy!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast