Thread: Daily Commute from Carterton-Wellington

Smile Daily Commute from Carterton-Wellington

Hi guys,
    Does anyone on the forum perform this daily ritual? If so, by what means of transport and rough costs. Would appreciate any info or links to websites.

Regards
    Dave and Linda

This should give you some infor until someone tells you more

http://www.tranzmetro.co.nz/TimeTable.aspx

I'm pretty sure a member who doesn't post much anymore (Avalon) had a partner who did the Carterton - Welly commute.... might be worth searching forum for carterton and see if she posted anything....

Quote Originally Posted by troutman View Post
    Hi guys,
    Does anyone on the forum perform this daily ritual? If so, by what means of transport and rough costs. Would appreciate any info or links to websites.

Regards
    Dave and Linda
    Car-wise:

With no traffic I think you can make the journey in maybe 1hr 15mins.
    Personally, with a car I would not want to commute that at all.
    The scenery would be so outrageous you'd be liable to come to work several hours late each day after stopping to take photos.

On the downside:
    Twisty roads over the Rimutakas would be frustrating if you're running late, and also a bit of a killer on the fuel and perhaps things like tyres and brakes if you're doing it daily.
    Even once you're over the hill, you have to drive past Upper Hutt, Lower Hutt and Petone. This whole area is bad for traffic. Very congested and slow moving by New Zealand standards.

If I were to do it, I would give myself 2 hours to get to work.

Don't know anything about the trains I'm afraid.

Edit: after checking the timetables they look pretty sweet. 1h 20mins by train is good.

My OH commutes daily from Greytown to Wellington. Good commute just over the hour but since they updated the carriages they have been running a bit late

He finds it easy enough and with the price of petrol and diesel going up a lot more people are now commuting in by train.

Carterton to Wellington for a monthly pass is $312 and quarterly is $889. Just a quick note to say the standard cost is only one way not return as we initially thought With the monthly pass you can use it on the weekends as well which is handy.

Fire away if you have any further questions. I work as a real estate salesperson for Featherston/Greytown so know the areas pretty well

Smile Thanks for the info

Thank you for the info regarding commuting times and options from Carterton to Wellington. From the train timetables there's a better service there than there is from Vale of Belvoir into Nottingham or Grantham, and it's cheaper too!!

Dave and Linda