Thread: Priority shortage vs ocupation shortage list

Default Priority shortage vs ocupation shortage list

I am confused over these two different shortage lists.

My husband has a degree, 2 years teaching, 18 years gas fitting with full City & Guilds apprenticeship but on the points indicator without a job offer still only scores 75.

What I don't understand is that gas fitting is on the occupational shortage list throughout NZ but not on the priority shortage list. Am I completing it correctly or should my hubby be able to claim extra points for being on the occupational list?

He actually starts sub-contracting as a gas fitter tomorrow after a break from the industry for 6 years - don't know how he'll cope without all those holidays

Hello frances,

Working on the info given, I think you didn't click yes on the points indicator for " Was this experience in a comparible labour market? " which it was because the UK is.

On the assumptions,

Recognised Qual = yes ( NZQA will return you 50 points for a full 3 year apprenticeship )

10 years experience = yes

comparible labour market = yes

age 30-39 = ?

I put these in and it says you have 105 points even without a job-offer...

You'll get more if you plump for outside Auckland.

Regards, Caven

All building trades are in great shortage in Nz at the mo. Plumbers especially. They are screaming out for suitably qualified people all over, so dont get to mislead by the official website stats. I`am sure job offers would be very forthcoming.
    I have contact details for several quite major builders who need tradesmen, but they are more or less confined to the Coromandel area. If they are of any interest to anybody, just PM me.

Looks like we've found the missing points despite hubby being in next age category.

I had wrongly assumed that the comparable job market was only if you had an offer of employment as well.

If this isn't the case we can submit our EOI.

Cheers matey

Good Luck Frances

Another stressed out Plumber. :P
    Have you contacted the Plumbers Gasfitters Drainlayers Board Yet? To work as any of the above you have to be registered with them!

You can get the forms through their website www.pgdb.co.nz they are really helpful.

First you have to complete an overseas application- cost about £110, then if they accept that you can apply for a limited license- cost 75 dollars. This allows you to work in NZ under the supervision of another Plumber untill you sit their exam-cost ? not got that far yet.

I Hope this info is useful

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by frances
    Looks like we've found the missing points despite hubby being in next age category.

I had wrongly assumed that the comparable job market was only if you had an offer of employment as well.

If this isn't the case we can submit our EOI.
    Good luck and God bless!!!

jes :angel