Thread: The Process - How long realistically?

Default The Process - How long realistically?

Our plan A for the moment is to be determined in August, and would mean staying in Canada for the moment. If it doesn't work out (about 50% chance of that), we'll be going on to plan B, which is to come to NZ to work for a year. Since my husband is a teacher we would like to be there for the start of the school year, so January. I'm a midwife so my start date doesn't really matter, I could start a month or two later than him and would be happy with the NZ downtime! In the meantime, we don't want bo miss out on the NZ plan if plan A doesn't work out, so we want to get the ball rolling.

What I'm wondering is, even though everything says the process takes about 6-8 months, from the time of applying for our respective registrations, what is the realistic wait? Because if we get things going now, my registration is $1000, husband's is $450, and if we end up not going, then we've wasted a bunch of money, since I'm sure our registrations will have expired by the time we are ready to do this, which won't be for a few more years. Would we be gambling by waiting until late August to start the Process if the plan is for hubby to start work in February?

Another question for teachers, is it common for teachers to start work at other times of the year than the start of the school year? Would he hurt his chances of employment if the plan was to come for Term 2 instead?

thanks,

Natalie

I didn't think your registration could expire. I thought once you were registered with your national board, that's it....registered, done.

Anybody else know something different?

Hi,

At my son's Catholic primary school in Auckland there were a number of staff changes recently and they all happened at the beginning of the school year.

However, our local paper has several adverts at the moment from schools needing teachers to start immediately so there is obviously scope for starting during the school year. I think it will depend a bit what age/subjects your OH teaches.

I'm not a teacher myself so can't comment more than that but HTH.

Anneliese

Actually, I just got word back from the Council of Midwives, they said that once you're registered it's for life. It's the practising certificate that can lapse. ANd they also said that applying in August for the registration would still give me plenty of time if I wanted to practise in February. It's all the other paperwork that can take time, so I can still get started on that.

Natalie