Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what to put in a baby medicine cabinet ?

Default what to put in a baby medicine cabinet ?

Hi,

well according to my pregnancy book, it recommends buying some baby medicines ahead of time (i.e so you have them to hand when you actually need them, rather than struggling to find them at 3am - which seems to make sense), unfortunately most of my books are from the UK, so talk about UK brands like Calpol etc, which I don't think you get here ??

so, if I was going to buy a few NZ baby medicines to keep in a cupboard, what do you recommend I buy?!.. also baby sun lotion (I saw some stuff, but it said for babies not under 6 months) - any suggestions

all advice gratefully received..

cheers

Pip

Most of medication are not suitable for young baby till they are 3months plus. Check every medication before you buy

All you need is Paracare or similar (bit like calpol, made of paracetamol) - this only use from 3months.

Aspirin should NEVER give to young children till they are 12 years old.

Medication for babies before 3months is best to get from Dr because it is depend on size of your baby for correct doses.

Have you got thermoscan? to read baby/toddler's body temp via ear? Get one if you can because it had been huge big help to work out the temp our children's fever before making descision whether need to call dr in the middle of nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Pip View Post
    also baby sun lotion (I saw some stuff, but it said for babies not under 6 months) - any suggestions
    Because babies must stay out of sun till they is 6 months old. People including myself have used muslim sheet to cover the car seat and pram to block sunlight.
    Remember see me cover his car seat (windowside) with blanket after left your house other days?
    Also use sunshade by outlook is another fantastic product, I used them all the time while he was in twin pushchair cos it help protect against sun, wind, heat etc.

I know it's not medicine but for your car for bright sunny days these are really good, we had some for our Volvo V70 (up for sale if anyone has this car here) & I will be getting some for my new car now I have one I'm going to keep, you can have the window down & still keep out the flys & they block the sun, great for summer

http://www.windowsox.co.nz/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Georgebulldog View Post
    I know it's not medicine but for your car for bright sunny days these are really good, we had some for our Volvo V70 (up for sale if anyone has this car here) & I will be getting some for my new car now I have one I'm going to keep, you can have the window down & still keep out the flys & they block the sun, great for summer

http://www.windowsox.co.nz/home.html
    I did want that but won't work with my car (toyota estima) as got sliding door and baby is sit other side of car, away from the door.

I know my kids are a bit older but I always have the following in the 'medicine cupboard'

Paracare (same as Calpol) for high temperatures usually
    Nurofen for pain relief
    Sudocrem for nappy rash or sore bottoms
    Thermometer
    Antiseptic cream
    lots of plasters

Hope this helps

Julie

By the way, something completely different, the best thing I ever bought for my children was a Galt Baby Ring. They are fantastic. I doubt you will get one here but maybe if someone in the UK is wanting to buy you a present, then give it a thought. Check it out.

For the kids paracetamol products (Pamol etc), just check the paracetamol percentage, the lower ones will be suitable for babies (and will say so!).

Once they hit 3 months I prefer Nurofen, (once again get the baby dosage). This is an ibuprofen product (so like aspirin) and I've found doctors over here aren't keen whereas doctors in the UK really promoted it.

www.nurofenforchildren.co.uk/range/

Baby syringe to give meds with - lot easier than using a spoon, (nurofen comes with one)

Agree about the thermometer, we had a dummy shaped one and a digital one you could use under the arm. Some people invest in an ear one but they are pricey, (the forehead ones are OK, but will only give you an approximation).

Baby Nail clippers (If they scratch themselves a lot, I've found baby socks stay on their hands better than scratch mittens)

Ask for some kind of baby antiseptic, in case they get mozzie bites.

Couple of types of nappy cream/powder so you can see which works best.

Cotton wool wipes (flat round things, easier than balls), good for cleaning round their eyes if a bit gunky. Cotton buds.

Nose syringe - for sucking out mucus (lovely eh?). Some kind of eucalyptus that can be dropped onto a hankie if baby gets stuffed up. (Never put too near or in contact with skin)

You will need bonjela at some point (check age....)

Baby first aid book - look up baby resus, a bit scary I know but better to have some idea than not.

Chances are the first time you'll need to use any meds is when they have their immunisations. But you'll probably make use of the rest before the first year is out.

Check what your pharmacist suggests, in fact ask a couple as I have found their advice widely differs here!

Cheers

Tia

For our lot we just have a well stocked normal first aid kit (plasters/bandages/antiseptic/painkillers/rehydration sachets etc) with a few additions:

Pamol liquid paracetamol
    Liquid ibuprofen
    Bongella
    Ear thermometer and plenty of spare lens dics things (most acurate for small children)
    Baby/children liquid antihistamine in case of insect bites etc
    Nose syringe....very useful indeed when they have cold (and they will)

Also, sun lotion goes off so don't stock up in advance...buy it when you need it. Johnson&Johnson do a baby suncream, but check no irritation on small area of skin before applying. Also as Sophia said, small babies shouldn't have too much strong sun exposure...they will get enough for their vitamin D needs in only a few minutes so best keep them out of strong sunlight by covering up.....have you bought some baby hats?

Pip we've got loads of medicine syringe thingies if you need them. I'd second the sudocream or NZ alternative as works a treat. The other thing we used a lot with our kids as they were snuffly babies was some olbas oil (sp??) diluted in water in a bowl in bedrooms - just helped them breathe a wee bit better

Karenx

Quote Originally Posted by nippa&pippa View Post
    Aspirin should NEVER give to young children till they are 12 years old.
    or even older - the advice in the UK now is not to give aspirin to children under 16 (except for very specific conditions), and in the US to children under 19. This is because there is a strong link between giving aspirin for viral infections and the development of Reyes Syndrome, which is a rare, but potentially fatal, illness. One of my friends died of it when she was 11 years and 6 months old (and it was her parents who campaigned to get junior aspirin banned in the UK).

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast