Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Golden Syrup.... and baking

Question Golden Syrup.... and baking

Has anyone else found that the Golden Syrup in NZ is not very good for baking with? Twice now I've tried to make some flapjacks and been left with a pile of gooey oats. First time I thought it was made but after my second attempt I've come to the conclusion that the golden syrup is too runny.

For that matter are there any other ingredients you've struggled with when trying to bake?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpiggy View Post
    For that matter are there any other ingredients you've struggled with when trying to bake?

Self raising flour - isn't self raising enough!!

I always add baking powder now.

Oh and suet is suet mixed with flour, so instead of using 1 suet (Atora for the Brits reading this) to 2 flour, I now have to use 2 suet mixture (Shreddo) to 1 flour.

I must say though, that the sponge recipe on the back of the yellow Cornflour packet is superb.

Not doing too well with this diet I'm supposed to be on......

Julie

xx

Self raising flour - isn't self raising enough!!
    Ohhh it's not just me then! Whew....

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpiggy View Post
    Has anyone else found that the Golden Syrup in NZ is not very good for baking with? Twice now I've tried to make some flapjacks and been left with a pile of gooey oats. First time I thought it was made but after my second attempt I've come to the conclusion that the golden syrup is too runny.

OH wanted to make Parkin so I searched out some Lyles Golden Syrup and Lyles Black Treacle. A little on the pricey side but it worked OK, slightly more gooey than he would have liked by everyone in the office scoffed it down and said it was delicious! Maybe its something to do with the climate?

Anneliese

Not sure about the quality of the GS but I'll volunteer to sample any further batches. I didn't get this far in life without being a flapjack connoisseur!

Quote Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
    Not sure about the quality of the GS but I'll volunteer to sample any further batches. I didn't get this far in life without being a flapjack connoisseur!
    You're on Gilly!

Try making flapjacks with half honey/half golden syrup. The honey has a higher water content which evaporates during cooking...so it is not quite so gooey when finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    Try making flapjacks with half honey/half golden syrup. The honey has a higher water content which evaporates during cooking...so it is not quite so gooey when finished.
    But I don't like honey

I've never used a syrup in my pancakes. I always just use brown sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
    But I don't like honey
    Neither do I.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast