Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redirecting post?

Default Redirecting post?

Just wondered what others on the forum who have made the move did about redirecting your post?
    I am considering three options and would welcome others experiences / feedback.

1 - redirect to my parents in the UK for a month until we have a rental sorted and get then to bundle up the important stuff and send over, and then renew the redirection to our rental address.

2 -wait until we get to NZ and set up a PO Box straight away ( looking on the website looks like you can only do thsi in person - is that right?) and get post redirected there for a while. I guess it means getting UK post Office to put post on hold for a week or two before redirecting.

3 - set up a private box account now through there website and post redirected there for a few months. Has anyone else used private box - any feedback / advice? The only problem I can see with that option is the possibility of not having an internet connection to access the list of post they have received.

The thing that concerns me is that we need a NZ address straight away for IRD numbers/ bank etc which suggests option 1 isn't possible .

Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi Baggiesfans

We had our mail redirected to my brothers house who kindly offered to send the important stuff on to us. We also got a po box when we got to NZ ( I don't think you can do this from the uk). We handed in the form and got the po box the same day, it cost about $120 for the year. We then had at least one address for mail in NZ. We have found that most people here have been fine about us not having a permanent address yet as we can't move in to our long term rental for 3 weeks.

This way has worked well for us, hope it helps.

Helen

We did exactly option 1 from above. Worked for us.

Initial re-direct to my parents for three months, then at renewal time changed to overseas redirect to rental.

we redirected our mail to NZ 3 weeks ago. Still no sign of it

Hi BaggiesFans... have you an offer of employment? If so, you could possibly re-direct to your works address.

Having said that, my personal choice would be to go with option 1

You CAN set up a NZ post box from the UK. There have been a lot of posts about this topic so if you do a search on the forum you will see what has been advised.

Basically, go to the NZ post shop web site (www.nzpost.co.nz) and follow the links to setting up post box. It will tell you to send a question (dont forget to hit the submit button) and wait for a reply then you will be able to receive the form and sort it out from the UK.

I second Cappucino's post above. Quick and painless setting up a PO Box online, takes a couple of emails and a fax. Worked a dream for us.

We had mail redirected to Hubby's workplace (school) here in Auckland. It worked very well. You can change the redirection address when you get settled.

Quote Originally Posted by cappuccino View Post
    You CAN set up a NZ post box from the UK. There have been a lot of posts about this topic so if you do a search on the forum you will see what has been advised.

Basically, go to the NZ post shop web site (www.nzpost.co.nz) and follow the links to setting up post box. It will tell you to send a question (dont forget to hit the submit button) and wait for a reply then you will be able to receive the form and sort it out from the UK.
    Where would you go to collect your post then? Can you stipulate where it is located?

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    Where would you go to collect your post then? Can you stipulate where it is located?

You have to apply to the post shop where you want the box to be ie close to your work address or home address (there is a post shop finder on the website). Then they allocate you the number, you send them all the paperwork and payment and you collect the key when you arrive (showing your proof of ID and any document they sent you).

Actually getting Royal Mail in the UK to redirect the post is another matter - took ages for mine, several phone calls and since April I have only had 2 letters. Its all gone wrong somewhere! However, I have a lovely post box in Wellington. Funniest thing is that its quite high up and I am a shorty so I have to grope around in the box to feel if there are any letters and then do a little jump to make sure I haven't missed anything. This is all in the vein hope that there will be a letter or two in there......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast