Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HRV System.... anyone??

Default HRV System.... anyone??

Does anyone have any knowledge of HRV systems? Are they any good? We're currently exploring various options in regard to insulating and/or heating our home. We've just had what we consider to be a reasonable quote to have a HRV system installed but don't know anyone who has one so have no idea if they're any good.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Everyone I have spoken to LOVES having a system like an HRV, whether it be HRV, DVS, moisture master... apparently after just 2 days your condensation is gone! If we were not thinking of moving we would be getting one, prob HRV from other peoples references...

It might be worth getting another quote from one of the other companies for comparison...

We've got one but we're not sure if we're using it properly. The condensation has reduced but I can't say it's very warm. In fact at times it feels like cold aire being blown about - with the control temp on 25 degs. Mind you, the remote control requires an intimate knowledge of quantum physics to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
    We've got one but we're not sure if we're using it properly. The condensation has reduced but I can't say it's very warm. In fact at times it feels like cold aire being blown about - with the control temp on 25 degs. Mind you, the remote control requires an intimate knowledge of quantum physics to operate.
    Ditto LockStock

Quote Originally Posted by lockstock View Post
    We are having it installed in our new house and I think it depends on what the salesmen tell you. Are salesman was excellent and told us exactly what the HRV system can do. It does not heat your house. What it does is circulate the air from your loft space or wherever you have the unit. Most are in the loft. This takes the air from there, purifies it and circulates it to the rest of the house. Now if it is cold in your loft, you will get cold air. If it is warm you will get warm air. It is more designed to reduce condensation than heat your house. It certainly purifies the air. The reason a thermostat is installed is so that on a very warm day you can prevent the system circulating too much warm air.This is what we were told anyway.I have just checked their website and it can be misleading. They explain about warmth and cool and if you read it carefully, you can work out that when the suns not out, you will get cold air, so you are really relying on the weather conditions. Its still a good thing to have but don't expect plenty of heat when you need it most.
    http://www.hrv.co.nz/how_cooling.aspx
    Last edited by Dave in NZ; 17th May 2008 at 09:09 AM.

We had HRV installed 2 years ago to deal with condensation issues. Our house used to be cold and damp, damp curtains, carpets, bedclothes. Within days of having HRV the condensation cleared and we no longer have a damp house. But as mentioned HRV is a ventilation system, not a heating system, so in winter you'll get cold air being circulated so mornings will be cold but crisp, not damp. You'll need to rely on other heat sources to warm your house but this will be more efficient because you won't be heating a damp environment. There is some heating benefit during the day in winter when the sun is shining and some cooling benefit in summer during the night when the loft temperature drops but it's not an alternative to heat pumps, wood burners, rads etc.

Caroline & Dave and Bailers - that's what the sales rep told us. What he did say was that the house may well feel warmer because it will no longer be damp. He explained about the difference in temperature between the loft space and the rest of the house and that of course, if it's only 10 degrees in the loft space then that's all you're going to get in the house.

He gave us a quote for $3700 (approx) to ventilate our 4 bedroom 2 storey house, which I didn't think was bad.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpiggy View Post
    Caroline & Dave and Bailers - that's what the sales rep told us. What he did say was that the house may well feel warmer because it will no longer be damp. He explained about the difference in temperature between the loft space and the rest of the house and that of course, if it's only 10 degrees in the loft space then that's all you're going to get in the house.

He gave us a quote for $3700 (approx) to ventilate our 4 bedroom 2 storey house, which I didn't think was bad.
    That sounds very good. Ours was $4250, but that is for a 320sqm house

Holy smokes 4000 big ones for a fan and some ducting? What does the installation consist of?

My mate used to work installing these systems.A filter box sits in the loft a fan is connected to it.There is a splitter pipe thats sends the filtered air via ducting hose outlets to each room.It's pretty easy to do.I think it's a real kiwi moneyspinner this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast