Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question re: arriving on visitor visa with kids...

Default Question re: arriving on visitor visa with kids...

It looks like this is the route we are going to be taking for sure now but I am a bit worried about the children (aged 8 & 6) obviously they are aware we are moving to NZ but are they going to get us into trouble at the airport?!

Has anyone been quizzed on arrival by immigration and what did you do to keep your kids quiet?!

You could maybe have preliminary lectures about how all the people at airports are very, very busy, so they must leave Mummy and Daddy to talk to them so as not to waste their time. It might work!

We were coming back into the UK from summer holidays camping in France years ago, going through the Green Channel, and the customs man did the usual, 'Nothing to declare? No wine, spirits, cigarettes? Animals?' and 4-year-old piped up from the back of the car, 'My rabbit.' Of course it was a furry toy rabbit he took to bed, but even though we quickly produced it from out of the bundle with the sleeping bags, we still had to empty the whole back of the estate car all over the tarmac.

we are going the same route once our house sells!
    whats the worst that could happen?

I know what you mean and can imagine you'd be on pins!

I guess you would have to say something to them, as my 5.5yr old would give the game away too............

I am sure that someone on the forum will have been in the same position as you and hope you get some help.

Good luck and keep us posted

Sharon
    xx

What we did was make very sure our boys understood that we were essentially arriving in NZ for a holiday...after all, on visitor's permits that is the only true answer anyway. They (the boys) knew we wanted to stay, but understood the uncertainty of it all. They are 6, 8 and 10 years old. I was also concerned that immigration would question us about schooling but firstly they didn't, and if they had we had an entire homeschool curriculum with us which we are following until the boys go into school in a week or two. Hope that helps a bit.

Was wondering where you'd got to, Ourquest? How's it all going?

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Was wondering where you'd got to, Ourquest? How's it all going?
    Settling quickly, thanks Carey. If an innocent bystander was reading this forum I wouldn't particularly recommend the "living in limbo" bit (!), but all things considered it's been smooth enough, mostly because it has worked out well for us in the end.

can you elaborate a bit more on your jorney ourquest?
    did you just go then apply for pr once in new zealand?
    cheers
    neil

Quote Originally Posted by victoria24 View Post
    can you elaborate a bit more on your jorney ourquest?
    did you just go then apply for pr once in new zealand?
    cheers
    neil
    Hey Neil,
    No, we had applied for residence beforehand (without job offers) and arrived on visitor's visas fairly confident that if OH landed work our PR would be fast-tracked and if not then we were likely to get PR anyway. This added a new stress at Immigration at the airport because we knew that they would pick up that we had a residence application lodged. This wasn't a problem but within an hour we had an email form our case officer in London asking us what our plans in NZ were as they had noted that we had arrived (until then we didn't even know we had a CO).

What took us by surprise is that, because we were applying for PR without jobs and therefore would need settlement interviews, we only found out after arriving that those interviews could not happen in NZ and that we would have to return to our "home" country or the UK to attend them. This was a blow but didn't come to anything as OH was offered a contract position and PR was decided on this. NZIS did not require any further info from us, approved PR in London and then electronically sent the file to Wellington for the issuing of the permits. In the end they really bent over backwards to get them done in time for OH's start date, and I have to say that the whole process was so well described on their website from the start that apart from that one oversight we felt completely in control of the process.

There are so many details that I won't go any further here as I have already unintentionally hijacked the thread. But please do ask if there is any other way our own experience can answer any concerns.

Take care.

Good news that it all went smoothly. Very good luck for all of the settling in process.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast