Thread: Visa application with criminal record

Default Visa application with criminal record

Hello all,
    I have recently received a job offer to work in NZ which i would really like to go for. However 3 years ago i stupidly got into a fight and i have a criminal record for 'assault' and 'GBH'. My question is would i automatically get turned down on my visa application for this? I would like to apply for a visa but if my record means i would be automatically declined then there is no point me wasting time and money with the application. I have searched the web for information on this and I can't find a definite answer.

Many thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by sfinn23 View Post
    Hello all,
    I have recently received a job offer to work in NZ which i would really like to go for. However 3 years ago i stupidly got into a fight and i have a criminal record for 'assault' and 'GBH'. My question is would i automatically get turned down on my visa application for this? I would like to apply for a visa but if my record means i would be automatically declined then there is no point me wasting time and money with the application. I have searched the web for information on this and I can't find a definite answer.

Many thanks in advance
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Check out Character Requirements for details of what NZIS (New Zealand Immigration Service) are looking for.

You don't say if you had been sentenced to a prison term, so I assume not. In which case you won't automatically be turned down but they may still decline your application.

We may also decline a person’s application if they have ever been convicted of an offence, including immigration, drug, and violence offences.
    Ian

Thanks for the quick response Ian and you presumed correct, i didn't receive a prison term (just a fine).
    How would you recommend i proceeded with this? Do you know of any companies where i could talk to someone with experience in this field?

Many thanks

go for it, it is only a prison sentence that would cause probs..

Good luck!!

Go ahead with it. You may need to submit an EOI manually instead of online. This is because you'd have to supply a letter detailing the situation/circumstances & how contrite you are about it. You might need to supply some good character refs, Do you know of any people with a professional status (ea. solicitor,clergy etc.) that could supply these for you? In this case NZIS give a character waiver on your application if successful. Hope this helps you.