Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanaka camping at xmas

Question Wanaka camping at xmas

We are planning to spend xmas and new years in Wanaka climbing and tramping The problem is that we don't know whether we should reserve a place in advance Are camping grounds really busy at xmas?

Can anyone recommend a good camp ground around Wanaka? Kiwi husband just told me Dept of Conservation one has no showers...don't know about that

Well there is one campsite I would NOT recommend...I am trying to remember what is called, let me think and get back to you....

Here remember now

Wanaka lakeview - http://www.wanakalakeview.co.nz/index.htm

We stayed twice there, we made bad mistake to go back there second time thinking they must have update their campsite (well we got three young kids and their campsite is nearer to town that you just walk to shops/bars etc, there are 3/4 in wanaka, but not within reasonable walking distance when you got young kids) and found two years down the line, they are getting worse. It is desperate need to update/redecorate etc *clingy* and the ground was so dry and lack of grass that they haven't look after their land properly for tents....also there was lots of caravan around dump around that belong to someones who use this campsite to store their caravan? or campsite's own?
    Also people actually "live" there in caravans/lorries etc at the campsite. My OH and I couldn't believe to see one of lorries still there, two years later in same spot
    Last edited by nippa&pippa; 18th June 2008 at 09:37 AM.

I have already tried to book into a couple of campsites in Wanaka a few weeks and ago and they are booked. If you manage to get one see if they have some space left for us will you

Wanaka is the kind of place that is probably booked up before well before the end of January for the following year!!

We've stayed at the Top Ten (Pleasant Lodge). It was okay but not the most up-to-date accommodation (we stayed in a motel chalet) - but was clean and quiet with lots of areas for kids to run around.

It's not really walkable to town (unless you're alcohol fuelled or walking fans) but it's a v. short drive. Makes for a nice quiet location....

Here's the link: http://www.pleasantlodge.co.nz/

You could always buy a tent

That was for a tent )

Might have a big problem finding anywhere in Wanaka at that time of the year.

We found a huge problem the first week of April, everywhere gets booked up so fast.

We were hoping to get away over the Christmas week this year, not a hope of that every where we've enquired to is booked already

Was really trying to avoid Christmas at home but looks like it'll have to be

We've managed to get the week after xmas in spencer park, but that was only because we put in for this year when we were there last year.

Wanaka was heaving when we were there in Sept (skiers) and was hard to get into restaurants/cafes so maybe look at staying somewhere around Cromwell instead, away from the crowds?

Plus, have you checked out the tramping hut system? Could you spend most of your time tramping from hut to hut?

Yes Wanaka is already booked up - usually from the year before. It's a kind of "book before you leave last year" kind of place. Q'town and Te Anau are the same.

You might have more luck in Cromwell or Alexandra (Alex is v hot over Christmas) - or perhaps Naseby/Ranfurly...

Otherwise, if you fancy a bit of beach head down to the Catlins and either Owaka or Curio Bay. they're a bit quieter in that they don't have flashy restaurants and clubs ... really depends on what you are after.

Worse comes to worse, there are worse places to spend Christmas than toodling down to St Clair/Kilda beach each day (flat bit of Dunedin) or heading south a bit to Brighton beach.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast