Thread: UK applicants & Custody - we need 'official custody papers'. Which for starters doesn't exist in the UK.

Default UK applicants & Custody - we need 'official custody papers'. Which for starters doesn't exist in the UK.

Hi guys

We are currently in NZ on Work Permits.

We have 3 children, 2 of which from my wifes previous marriage. We have had a stat declaration drawn up declaring that we have full custody and that my wifes ex is happy for the children to reside in NZ.

He has signed this at a UK Court, which is embossed and been sent here.

We have provided this as part of our evidence for the children to be with us.

Our case officer is telling us this isn't suffcient and we need 'official custody papers'. Which for starters doesn't exist in the UK. So we keep emailing quoting the policy:

'iii) legal documents showing that the NZ resident parent has custody of the children and a signed statement from the other parent, witnessed in accordance with local practice or law, agreeing to allow the children to live in NZ if the application is approved.'

Anyone else hit a brick wall with this?? I'm sure I'm not the first? Is it me or is this case officer being a bit thick or what?? Unreasonable springs to mind!

I'm fuming!

Cheers

Mike

I'd ask to speak to their manager. All we had in UK was a letter from Sam's dad that he was happy for Sam to live in NZ with us, job done , no court of law.

Hope you have speedy resolution

Ben

I agree with ben and claire.

As long as you satisfy the legal requirements in the UK there should not be a problem.

Sound like your CO is being a bit of a jobsworth! Go over their head and speak to someone a little less obstinate!!

Keep quoting the policy and going higher up the chain of command until you reach someone with a bit of common scense.

Best of luck

Marybelle

We argued the point with the case officer and they eventually gave in, after we mentioned taking it further with her manager as she was being unreasonable.

Unbelievable.. She told us that after conferring with a 'technical' advisor in immi NZ that actually what we have produced is satisfactory.

I think it's absolutely disgraceful that we have had to fight for this. I wonder how many other potential immigrants are fobbed off by 'inadequate' documentation, when in actual fact it's perfectly fine.....?

So glad to hear you carried your point. This must've been so unsettling.