Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who to Vote For?

Default Who to Vote For?

I've only just glanced at the budget, but it got me thinking about what I actually know about politics in NZ. The answer being, hardly anything!

Can anyone give me some facts about each of the main parties. I know everyone seems to hate Labour, but I can remember reading something about how people have very short memories because it was atrocious under National last time round.

What I really need is say a top ten of key FACTS about each party and then at least that might spur me on to look into certain elements that I feel are personal to me.

Any ideas? Any good sites to look at. I really want facts not opinions though.

Milliemoo

I was thinking the same as I'm not sure on all that many policies either and there are a silly number of parties out there!

I'm a right-wing libertarian under the various political tests so general believe in a small state with low taxation, low benefits but with increased incentives for working and governments doing as little as they possibly can with respect to non-core business; while ensuring that people are free to do anything that they would like provided it doesn't impact directly on the lives or wellbeing of others.

I've only really started looking but found this on ACT which seems to cover their policies. I must say I agree with most of them but will probably vote National to ensure that things shift to the right!

Dont forget - you have to vote twice!
    Once for the candidate and once for the party.....

Just to make it even harder for you!

I thought I'd give this thread a bump, as I'd like to make an informed choice rather than voting for Helen Clarke just because she seems to drink in Devonport a lot! (I think she has a niece in the navy or something...)

So even if you come across a good link or interesting bit in the paper, let us know what you find out!

Of course you may already be well aware of where the different parties stand, in which case fill me in please!

Cheers

Tia

The system here is a tad confusing, because, under MMP you have to vote twice - once for the candidate in your electorate, and once for the party.
    If a party gains more than half the 120 seats in Parliament at a general election it can form a majority government by itself.
    If no one party has an outright majority of MPs, two or more parties with a combined majority of seats can form a majority coalition government. If no one party has an outright majority and no majority coalition can be agreed upon, one or more parties can form a minority government with the support of other parties outside the government.

This is the state of the current government, which was formed in 2005 as a coalition of Labour, Progressive, New Zealand First and United Future.

Most of the main parties have their policies on their websites - the main parties are:
    Labour - Centre left and socially liberal.
    National - Centre right and conservative.
    New Zealand First - Conservative, Nationalist. Want to preserve NZ's culture by reducing immigration; bring crime under control by increasing judicial sentencing; and reduce payments made under the Treaty of Waitangi.
    Green Party - focus on green policies and environmentalism.
    United Future - Centrist, formed from the old Christian democratic FutureNZ and the centrist UnitedNZ
    ACT - Free market liberals, with a philosophy of individual freedom and personal responsibility.
    Progressive - Moderately left wing with a focus on job creation and full employment.
    Maori - founded in 2004 over the Seabed and Foreshore vote.
    Alliance (currently holds no seats in NZ parliament but was once the 3rd largest party)
    (Disclaimer - all info is from Wiki not my opinion, - there is much more to be read on each of their respective websites, but far too much to write here.)

You also get other smaller parties and individual candidates standing - Destiny Church were one that had several candidates at the last election.

As I knew very little last time, I asked each candidate in my electorate for their manifesto, and also got the main party manifestos to read, which helped quite a bit.

Wow thanks Kerry!

I'd been kind of combining National and NZ first together in my mind and wasn't even aware of Progressive ..... bit more research methinks!

Cheers

Tia

Link to all registered political parties websites.

http://www.elections.org.nz/record/r...ties.html#gen0

Also may be of interest - overview of NZs system of government

http://www.elections.org.nz/democrac...overnment.html

Getting all this from 'elections' website

http://www.elections.org.nz/

Lots of interesting stuff on there.

Oh dear, No Monster Raving Loony Party ( Or is that Helen Clarke in Disguise?) What am I going to do ?

Start one.

Cheese Puff Lunacy Alliance or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline and Dave View Post
    Oh dear, No Monster Raving Loony Party ( Or is that Helen Clarke in Disguise?) What am I going to do ?
    No, this is no disguise she really looks like this

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast