Thread: NVQ Mechanics

Default NVQ Mechanics

I've tried checking past posts for this information but have not succeded, so hoping some advice could be given.

My partner is about to start his 1 year course -
    City & Guilds Motor Vehicle 4101 Level 2 Servicing and Repair

I believe this is an NVQ course and was just wondering whether I might be able to claim points for this when I submit my EOI (obviously once he's completed it!) or whether this would not count at the level he is studying.

Has anyone out there completed this course or had NVQ/C&G assessed by NQZA and roughly know what they consider this the equilvalent to?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I did my part 1 & 2 City & Guilds in Motor Vehicle Craft Studies in the 1980's and have recently submitted my families EOI, with me as the primary applicant. I have been in the trade since that time.

Just this week received an e-mail from London immigration branch asking for 'apprenticeship papers', a document signed at the start of course and signed again at the end (even though they have copies of acheived certificates!).

'In my day' this simply did not exist, so I am chasing around trying to prove my apprenticeship took place, quite difficult as the company I worked for closed down in 1994!

My advice would be to contact the NZQA right now and get everything they advise in place, also City & Guilds have been helpful to me.

Best of luck for the future

Thank you for the advice.

I have also been told this qualification will be useful in NZ and is recognised in the trade so that's good news!
    I shall contact NZQA for some more advice.

Kerry

Hi, I've only just seen this thread as I have been away with work for a bit...

Gonna try amd answer both inquirys...

I'm a mechanic and I've just had my Motor Vehicle Mechanics NVQ L3 assessed by NZQA. The company I did my apprenticeship with went bust about 5 years ago, and I also didnt have all the "proper" paperwork. So I sent in every piece of paper I thought was relevent, emails, letters, reciepts for my books and stuff like that, anything to prove that I did an apprenticeship. I also managed to find my old boss who wrote me a reference containing who he was, when I started work, what I did, and when I attended college and what I did after, I also borrowed a letter off him with the company name and his name on it, something to prove who he was and not just a friend of mine. I understand this might be a bit tricky for some people.

And yes this qualification will be useful in NZ. My assessment came through at Level 4. There are lots of jobs for mechanics and in the motor trade in general in NZ at the moment. I've already started to look at jobs and as soon as I get back from my work trip(I've been away for two weeks), I will be seriously hunting. I hope to have some news from NZIS by then!!!
    Hope this helps, if you want any more info, let me know. The NZQA bit of things for me was a bit of a stuggle so I know how tricky it can be.
    Good luck

Thanks for that.
    Just another general question, although I've stated he'll be studying an NVQ, he's technically not going to be an apprentice as such.
    He currently works at a autoparts scrap/recycling yard as a parts advisor. He will be studying at college 2 evenings a week paid for by the company but as far as I'm aware he won't be doing any assessments in the workplace, but at the college.
    Does this change the qualification at all? I've heard another term, SRQ, bantered about by other people. Is this what he'll actually be covering do you know?

He just wants to make sure he's not wasting a year on something that won't get him a level 4 qualification or be recognised in any way.

Thanks again!

Hi again,
    An NVQ is a work based qualification it will normally include work based assessment combined with day release classroom learning, it may be possible to do these assessments in the college workshop, but it’s not really within the true scope of the course.
    A VRQ is a technical certificate it is entirely college based with no requirement to have ever set foot in a real workplace, I think it’s normally a full time course.
    In terms of NZIS I think it would still be a basic qualification, however I would want to check, you could do a NZQA pre assessment.
    In terms of employment prospects in NZ, I highly doubt that anyone would ever know the difference between NVQ and VRQ.
    However both courses at level 2 C&G will be well worth doing, but will be level 3 qualifications when assessed by NZQA, in order to get level 4 you need level 3 C&G.
    That said level 2 C&G and a job offer in NZ will do the trick, there seems to be jobs advertised everywhere at the moment, so I doubt you’ll have a problem but I think you are going to need the job offer.
    Best wishes
    James

Thank you James, that clears it up nicely.
    OH has just filled out his application form for course and very happy that work is paying for it.
    By the sounds of it, what he's doing will equate to NVQ.

You've been a big help.