Thread: Residence Visa (on application may be granted a residence permit)

Default Residence Visa (on application may be granted a residence permit)

Hi all

We have received passports with residence visas and there is a notice on the blue sticker - "The holder may travel to NZ and on application may be granted a residence permit".
    What does it mean?

Regards,
    Vladimir.

Methinks you get the 'visa' which allows you to travel to NZ, then once there it is converted to a 'permit' so you can stay.

This has always baffled me, why do you need both???? If you are allowed to stay in NZ why do you need different permission to travel to NZ??

Maybe I'm just easily confused - don't answer that

HTH

Mels

I applied as a Skilled Migrant and got a residence visa. But I can't understand what does on application may be granted a residence permit mean. I thought that when I got residence visa I would have a residence permit too. And now I am a little muzzy. Should I also apply for a residence permit?
    Here is the visa:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9668794@N02/2514566302/

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    I applied as a Skilled Migrant and got a residence visa. But I can't understand what does on application may be granted a residence permit mean. I thought that when I got residence visa I would have a residence permit too. And now I am a little muzzy. Should I also apply for a residence permit?
    Here is the visa:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9668794@N02/2514566302/
    A visa allows you to enter NZ, if you are already in NZ then you don't actually need a visa (unless you plan on leaving at some point).

When you arrive in NZ then they will check your visa type and (hopefully) grant you a matching permit (which will expire as soon as you leave NZ).

So, you already have exactly what you should have and when you arrive you will be given the matching permit (at the airport).

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    A visa allows you to enter NZ, if you are already in NZ then you don't actually need a visa (unless you plan on leaving at some point).

When you arrive in NZ then they will check your visa type and (hopefully) grant you a matching permit (which will expire as soon as you leave NZ).

So, you already have exactly what you should have and when you arrive you will be given the matching permit (at the airport).

Ian
    Exactly right, the Residency Permit just gets stamped there and then at Immigration in the Airport. You'll notice your Returning Residents Visa then starts from the date your first permit is stamped into your passport, not from when your Residency Visa is issued.

Thanks a lot

And i believe (correct me if i am wrong) that you need the "visa" part as nowadays the Airlines are legally obliged to check that its passengers have the "right" to travel to a destination when you check-in and board?

Quote Originally Posted by Leccy-Lee View Post
    And i believe (correct me if i am wrong) that you need the "visa" part as nowadays the Airlines are legally obliged to check that its passengers have the "right" to travel to a destination when you check-in and board?
    Well, if you are already in NZ then you don't need the visa part

But, yes due to advanced passenger screening, no visa = no travel and if by some chance the airlines lets you, then they have to pay a fine and pay for your removal as well. So I would imagine they do their best to check it.

Ian