View Poll Results: How would you live on $110K in NZ? (Household income, before tax)

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single - Happily

5 7.58%
  • Single - Would struggle, but worth it to live in NZ

0 0%
  • Single - Would struggle and not worth it

0 0%
  • Couple - Happily

17 25.76%
  • Couple - Would struggle, but worth it to live in NZ

4 6.06%
  • Couple - Would struggle and not worth it

3 4.55%
  • Family - Happily

23 34.85%
  • Family - Would struggle, but worth it to live in NZ

11 16.67%
  • Family - Would struggle and not worth it

3 4.55%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Could you live on 110K in NZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    re the teaching salary Nicola.... I was horrified to find that I was credited with half a year for each year I'd worked in the UK.
    Add into the mix - a lower salary anyway - and I definitely felt like I was working for nothing.
    So much so - after a year of full time teaching - I left.
    Relieving was a better option for me at the time.
    Coming here 12 years ago was definably a worse time for teachers. I think the rule re number of years you are credited for has only changed fairly recently and added to quite a large pay rise for teacher in the past few years, we are on a much better deal than you'd have been. (Didn't I hear somewhere that until the last few years primary teachers were paid less than secondary, making it even more unfair?)

Quote Originally Posted by willsken View Post
    Coming here 12 years ago was definably a worse time for teachers. I think the rule re number of years you are credited for has only changed fairly recently and added to quite a large pay rise for teacher in the past few years, we are on a much better deal than you'd have been. (Didn't I hear somewhere that until the last few years primary teachers were paid less than secondary, making it even more unfair?)

Yes that's right Nicola.
    tbh - it has all had a huge impact on me personally. On my confidence, my optimism (which has been whittled away gradually....) - and definitely on my "perspective" of living here.... and why our own personal situation of 4/5 of us loving it here - and 1/5 of us just doesn't..... makes for a life not exactly as idyllic as I thought it was going to be...... to put it mildly.

I wasn't prepared for it. but I really don't think anyone could have been - given the same circumstances.

Hubby was promised $61,000 for teaching IT. He got $27,000 for the first few weeks and then $46,000 so far shows no sign of increasing. He gets $1,300 every 2 weeks minus rent of $800 (for a flea pit) leaves £250 a week for a family of 4 to live on. We spend that on food! We came here to do lots of outdoor activities, some are free, but most cost money.

Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by marshanite View Post
    Hubby was promised $61,000 for teaching IT. He got $27,000 for the first few weeks and then $46,000 so far shows no sign of increasing. He gets $1,300 every 2 weeks minus rent of $800 (for a flea pit) leaves £250 a week for a family of 4 to live on. We spend that on food! We came here to do lots of outdoor activities, some are free, but most cost money.

Fi.
    I have sent you a PM.

Given what we've lived on happily in the past, and what we live on currently very happily. I would say that we could do very well on 110k in NZ. Even with the difference in cost of living, I really can't see not being very happy on that salary.

But then we've lived as poor, poor, students for over 5 years now, so I think that changes my perspective. Heck, getting 50k to live off of a year seems like a lot to me, but we'll see how that changes when I actually live there.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789