View Poll Results: How would you live on $110K in NZ? (Household income, before tax)

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Single - Happily

5 7.58%
  • Single - Would struggle, but worth it to live in NZ

0 0%
  • Single - Would struggle and not worth it

0 0%
  • Couple - Happily

17 25.76%
  • Couple - Would struggle, but worth it to live in NZ

4 6.06%
  • Couple - Would struggle and not worth it

3 4.55%
  • Family - Happily

23 34.85%
  • Family - Would struggle, but worth it to live in NZ

11 16.67%
  • Family - Would struggle and not worth it

3 4.55%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could you live on 110K in NZ?

Question Could you live on 110K in NZ?

As we got up to the $90k per annum (before tax for whole household), most of the singles and couples felt they could live comfortably in NZ on this wage.

However for the family we still have (currently):

Happily: 18
    Struggle but worth it: 7
    Struggle but not worth it: 4

So I thought i'd go up another $20k to see when it gets comfortable for more families. So could you live comfortably on a wage of $110K in NZ. Please only vote if in NZ, (or have lived in NZ) and have experienced what it is like to live here as deciding whether you are comfortable is more than just a numbers game.

Please all still vote whether single/couple/family etc - just so we can compare.

If you haven't already voted on these threads, please do...

$50K poll:

www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18193

$70K poll:

www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18194

$90K poll:

www.enz.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18195

Happy Voting!

Cheers

Tia
    Last edited by Tia Maria; 23rd May 2008 at 12:08 PM.

Nope. Not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ22 View Post
    Nope. Not worth it.
    CJ, are you voting "not worth it" even though Tia is only asking for people who are in or have lived in New Zealand to vote? Sorry for asking if you've already lived here.

If you don't think you can live as a family on $110k I think you ought to reconsider coming here.....

... I've just shown all these polls to my neighbour and her visiting friend - both would have been very happy indeed, one as a family of 4 and one as a empty-nester, to be on $70k as a household income... as it was they were both on under $50k for a family income.... and they have a good life. Needless to say they were gobsmacked at how much us immigrants seem to need to get by....

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    If you don't think you can live as a family on $110k I think you ought to reconsider coming here.....

... I've just shown all these polls to my neighbour and her visiting friend - both would have been very happy indeed, one as a family of 4 and one as a empty-nester, to be on $70k as a household income... as it was they were both on under $50k for a family income.... and they have a good life. Needless to say they were gobsmacked at how much us immigrants seem to need to get by....
    I think the part of the problem to people who think they "can't" cope with 70K or 90K is they either still stuck to or want to keep their UK's lifestyles and not prepare to change or find hard to change their lifestyles to fit in with kiwis' cost of living. Moorf has proved that their neighbours can cope under $50K because they never lived in UK (Is I am right, Helen?) to experiences with "need keep up with Jones" attitudes or got to have this, got have that etc. I found it best for me, "do I really need it?" when I go to shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ22 View Post
    Nope. Not worth it.

I know what you are saying CJ22 and I'm pleased that you and Dusk will be earning as much as, if not more in Auckland that you do in the UK.

Good on you I say. You'll have a great life in NZ I'm sure.

However, I'm also sure that you are aware of other peoples situations and struggles for survival, as you read and post regularly on this forum.

Maybe diplomacy is not your strong point....

Maybe 'Nope. Not worth it for us' may have been the more tactful post...

Julie

xx

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post

Mind you...newer immigrants will often be hit by the hugely inflated housing market in the same way that first time buyer will be (although probably to a lesser degree with capital brought over) while people who have been settled in an area for a few years are likely to have a significantly lower morgage and therefore need less money to live.

We would happily live on this income

I posted these polls purely for information, I was hoping it wouldn't get into judging.

People can only tell it how they find it, Moorf's neighbours being able to cope, proves nothing as people's circumstances vary so greatly.

I think it was marshanite who pointed out that they had been living on about $50K, but that they couldn't afford a family trip back, (often about $9k). It would probably take them years to save up for such a thing and to them, and many others, it is an essential to see their families.

I consider saving for my kids tertiary education and retirement an essential, others might not......

At $90K, roughly a third of families said they could not live happily, you can't just dismiss that as 'keeping up with the Jones'.

I hope people don't feel morally superior because they can survive on less money than others? As really there is so much about a family or individual's situation that could vary from yours and it doesn't mean that they extravagant.

Cheers

Tia

Quote Originally Posted by Familyofmonkeys View Post
    Mind you...newer immigrants will often be hit by the hugely inflated housing market in the same way that first time buyer will be (although probably to a lesser degree with capital brought over) while people who have been settled in an area for a few years are likely to have a significantly lower morgage and therefore need less money to live.
    Good point well put
    On my very limited experience though, I have to say that although we are skrimping a bit at the moment with just me working and having to lay out for big things like bonds and a car etc, as soon as Matt gets a job we'll, relatively speaking, be laughing compared to the uk
    I think it mostly as to do with us not feeling the pressure to have all the newest stuff and being completely new to the country no-one expects us to be in a big posh house with all the best of eveything. I can't believe how generous my work colleagues are being. I've had so many requests to take unwanted stuff like heaters and furniture etc and I'm not too proud to accept them

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast