Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flying cats to Australia/the UK?

Default Flying cats to Australia/the UK?

Hi All

We're just about to move to Auckland for at least a year. My Oh wants to go to Sydney after that- although I'm less kean, mainly cos I'm doing all the packing and admin .

We'd love to bring our cat who we both adore but have made arrangements to leave her in the UK temporarily as we are having a hoiday on route and need to find a house in NZ. But I'm worried moving again in a year may be a bit much for her. Also wondering how much her tranport from NZ to Sydney or back to the UK would be. I've heard that you can bring them back as excess luggage on BA? Anyone done this? Or know how much her flight to Sydney would be?

Taking her to her new home tomorrow- I think it'll be the worst goodbye

JoolzR

Quote Originally Posted by Joolzr View Post
    Taking her to her new home tomorrow- I think it'll be the worst goodbye JoolzR
    Joolz I'll be thinking of you That's the worst thing about leaving for me, leaving my beloved cat behind with another family. Good luck for today.

We're taking our two. £1400 to get them both to Auckland, but that's with everything thrown in - vet work, permits etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ22 View Post
    We're taking our two. £1400 to get them both to Auckland, but that's with everything thrown in - vet work, permits etc.
    I was just wondering why a cat would need a work permit, I didn't see the comma

hee hee, our cat don't do much work, unless you count sleeping and allowing us to stroke her....

I've had as few quotes on taking her- similar to yours cj22. just wondering if bringing her back would be more....

J

She'd probably have to go into quarantine on the way back Joolz, but not entirely sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ22 View Post
    She'd probably have to go into quarantine on the way back Joolz, but not entirely sure about that.
    I don't think so. There's a woman who lives two doors from us here in the UK, British born but raised in NZ, who seems to have gone back and forth quite often between the two countries, to live for a while, not just for holidays, all her life. She has her cat with her, and this cat has travelled between the UK and NZ five times. I'm pretty sure she came direct from Heathrow when they arrived here to live.

Yep, we checked that out before we considered taking her. She doesn't need a pet passport to go, but if she has one she can come back without any quarrentine so we just did it in case we decided to take her. It's valid for two years, and then can be renewed with some extra vet work. It was more expensive than a human one though- £160.

Good to hear that someone else moves their cat around. I worry that I'm being a bit selfish/cruel to inflict all these journeys on her. But she loves us and is very happy with us.... (us too obviously).

Joolz

I don't think the travelling is as much of a hassle for a human-oriented cat/dog as it is for some humans. They haven't got the psychological hangups of e.g. fear of flying, deciding to emigrate, etc.. For them, the journey will be like a couple of days in kennels, and they and their humans will be delighted to see one another at the other end.

Well it's good to hear there's no quarantine on the way back then.

I was told that cats and dogs don't suffer from jet-lag, and the rarefied atmosphere in the aeroplane hold acts as a mild sedative, and the animals mainly just sleep and remain calm. I don't think it's that much of a hardship for them. Just dull

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast