Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do They Still Do Mid-Winter Christmas?

Smile Do They Still Do Mid-Winter Christmas?

Hi all,
    When we lived in Palmerston North in the late 80's, shops were adorned with decorations, shop windows were sprayed with snow and there were carols playing, in June!
    Something to do with ex-pats I believe.
    Do they still do that over there?

Dave and Linda

Quote Originally Posted by troutman View Post
    Hi all,
    When we lived in Palmerston North in the late 80's, shops were adorned with decorations, shop windows were sprayed with snow and there were carols playing, in June!
    Something to do with ex-pats I believe.
    Do they still do that over there?

Dave and Linda
    Not really noticed too many decorations being put up for this, but you would still find plenty of decorations that haven't been taken down since the real one

The shops tend to have a small section which sells christmas things again for those that do celebrate it.

Our local club also has a big party each mid-winter christmas, any excuse for a party

I'm sure that some communities celebrate this more than others though.

Ian

This might sound an odd question but what do they call it?? Un-Christmas? Cool yule? Just curious what it's been labelled as

We've noticed this everywhere in Auckland. Lots of restaurants doing mid winter Xmas dinner etc and some shops even have Xmas trees.Our local warehouse have Xmas decorations Seems very strange . So in fact New Zealand get 2 Xmas's a year.

A friend of mine (ex pat here for the last 20 years) has a big celebration, cooks a Christmas dinner the lot..... might try to wrangle an invite this year!

We have a midwinter Christmas dinner - I love cooking piles of food for eating in the cold. Chestnuts and mince pies, yum! I started my pudding last week, and my mince meat has been made too. I've been asked to make a chocolate log this year as well, which will probably be my undoing, as I can never roll them without breakages...

We don't do presents, a tree or anything like that, but do dress the table and drink lots of port and warm punch.

Oh yes! Mid-Winter Xmas is a big event in our house - we celebrate with friends and have a table creaking with food and small gifts for the kids, port round the fire and some twinkling lights Can't wait.... might even get snow!!!

Wow, a real Xmas in July... Sounds fun!!!

Pre - children , a gang of us would regularly head for the mountains / ranges and enjoy a mid winter Christmas party in a DOC hut, surrounded by snow. Highly recommend.

Hi Folks

We arrived in NZ on Aug 23rd so thought we would have that as our 'kiwi Xmas' dinner date with a few friends and all the trimmings, Plus my son and Mum will be joining us this year so will make it a good first year anniversary . We are also up for a midwinter 'Xmas type' comp at the golf club - plus the skiing should make for a great 'pseudo Crimble'

Clare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast