Thread: Cats back to UK?

Default Cats back to UK?

Long shot here but has anyone taken their pets back to UK from NZ?
    We brought our 2 cats with us but now we are heading back and have hit a nightmare snag! They need to be innoculated against rabies and can't travel until 6 months afterwards so we have a major problem as we are heading back end March!! The other alternative is to send them back and put them into quarantine in UK, but that's horrendously expensive not to mention cruel....Just wondered if anyone else had encountered a similar problem...?

Oh no Chrissie.

Golden Arrow did tell me to take mine to a vet as soon as we got here to start the pet passport procedure just in case we didn't want to stay and wanted to take him back to the UK. He was warning me just in case!!

I haven't done anything about it, but your post has given me a warning just in case we don't get PR.

Maybe there is somebody on the forum who would like to adopt them for you until they can be shipped out.

Currently Bristol, Auckland end Jan 2005!

Hi Chrissie,

That sounds pretty harsh to me, but I suppose if that's the rules....

I'll have to look into my rental agreement to see if I'm allowed pets...

Whereabouts in Auckland are you?

Good luck with sorting it out :hopeso

Sophie

That's standard procedure chrissie, and there is no way round it. Like Dave and Sandra we did discuss with our vets whether to go the pets passport way when we brought the dogs over. The cats would have come out on an import/export permit as rabies is not a NZ requirement from the UK. Unfortunately it is a UK requirement from anywhere, can't you delay until the rabies innoclations are done, quarentine is a very expensive business and not fair on the cats if it can be avoided. If you did that it would put the kids at the start of a new school year in the UK.

Sadly no, we can't delay the return as we have already sold the house (which we've only just bought!), plus there's a job waiting back there for beginning April. This whole episode has just been a nightmare from start to finish...

I have been on to the SPCA and they have been brilliant and have found someone who will look after them for six months, but it is all the other problems of rabies innoculations, follow-up blood tests, paperwork etc. etc. which is so daunting. It might just be easier (albeit financially crippling) to fly them back without the rabies jabs etc. and put them in quarantine.

Hey ho...life's never dull is it!! :

Sadly no, we can't delay the return as we have already sold the house (which we've only just bought!), plus there's a job waiting back there for beginning April. This whole episode has just been a nightmare from start to finish...

I have been on to the SPCA and they have been brilliant and have found someone who will look after them for six months, but it is all the other problems of rabies innoculations, follow-up blood tests, paperwork etc. etc. which is so daunting. It might just be easier (albeit financially crippling) to fly them back without the rabies jabs etc. and put them in quarantine.

Hey ho...life's never dull is it!! :

Chrissie,

just a quick question and I hope you don't mind.

I notice you are coming back and would love to hear why. I understand if it is personal and you don't want to explain we will understand that. I am just trying to understand any pitfall which I may never had thought of.

thanks

Jo

waiheke Island > CC > Queenstown > Hampshire UK >2005 ???

Hi Chrissie,
    I dont envy you , but we got ourself into exactly the same mess with our dog last year . We had to leave in a rush and stupidly thought that because NZ is a rabies free island we would be able to fly our dog straight back.

Rather than put Lucky through quarantine in the UK , we left her at Aylesbury kennels in ChCh. (I think they do cats too.) The owners were wonderful and sorted out everything for us, all the vets , maf, flights etc.
    It worked out much cheaper, and avoided the horror of quarantine.

good luck with your cats and your move
    Anna