Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Knitting needles

Post Knitting needles

I have a 2 full set of bamboo knitting needles (straights and circulars) and (unused ) crotchet hooks. Am I allowed to bring them over to NZ as I've seen threads about bamboo being a no-no?

Also, would I be allowed to take some knitting onboard the plane to pass the time?.................although travelling on my own with 3 small children I VERY much doubt I will find the time . Would they be classed as a security threat (the knitting, not the children!)

Thanks

I just travelled between US and NZ with 9 inch bamboo knitting needles in my carry-on luggage and had no problems at all with MAF. (I think I claimed them on the customs form... I'm pretty sure I did...I was a little groggy at that point!)

I would have thought knitting needles were a definate no-no, have a look at this site...

http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/security.html

It says no but it may be worth checking with your airline.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ Hopeful View Post
    I would have thought knitting needles were a definate no-no, have a look at this site...

http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/security.html

It says no but it may be worth checking with your airline.
    I asked last year, travelling between Heathrow and AKL, and was refused.

Hi, you wouldn't have a problem bringing them into NZ but defo not allowed to use knitting needles on the planes. It might be different with the crochet hook so it might be worth checking.

Much as I thought then, no knitting needles on the plane. But you think they may be okay to ship over. I was just worried about the fact they are bamboo, although they are very thin and I would very much doubt that they have any hollow sections (like live bamboo shoots).

Lindreth - was actually quite surprised that you had your needles in your hand luggage going through a US airport. Thought they would have been far more rigorous/strict on checking.

Pinkpiggy - the crotchet hooks will probably remain in my shipping consignment as I don't know how to crotchet for toffee, LOL! One of the crafts on my 'to learn' list..............just can't get the hang of it at all. In all honesty there is no reason to take them at all, but I'm a sucker for clutter

Yes, I was surprised they allow them too (thought I'd be pegged as a Knitting Terrorist!) but I checked online ahead of time and the US's Transportation Security Administration's website advised that knitting needles are generally allowed aboard if they are not metal and if they are less than a foot long, but also advised that it would be up to the TSA officer's discretion to let any particular person bring the needles aboard.

Hi,
    We shipped a bamboo steamer in our container and had no problems with MAF. Just make sure you make a note of the box the items are in and declare on your Customs forms and you'll be fine.

I had no probs with a big bag of knitting needles in my checked-luggage. Didn't declare them. They're varnished and not hollow so no chance of a bug lurking inside...

Might try circular knitting needles as they are less long and pointy.
    Less to upset the security maybe?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast