Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prestige Cars in NZ.

Default Prestige Cars in NZ.

Hey everyone

I was just wondering what cars everyone went for when they moved over?

I have been a huge fan of German cars and thats actually all I've ever owned. I have never bought new but 6-7 years old lands you a bargain! However I cannot justify the higher prices in NZ so until I am on a higher wage I will be going Japanese.

I have looked at the Lexus Is250 but also considered a nissan 350z for the flash factor.

Anyone got any advice?

Cheers

Andy

Yeah I have a lovely Subaru Legacy 1995 that would do you just fine, up for sale in 3 weeks time, I think you would just love it, no honest really

Anything economical the way the petrol/diesel prices are

Have a look at the Mazda 6s love their new range

Sorry, not into flashness. Reliability and big enough to lug people and stuff about without too much hassle is our priority. Oh, and economicalness comes into a bit as well.

Nissan, Suzuki, Mazda, Honda all good. Not keen on Mitsubishi's, but for no tangible reason.

Currently we have a Nissan Tino (2000) and a Suzuki Grand Vitara (2001). Paid 11K and 13K respectively. Had both for a year, both been fab, not planning on changing either any time soon.

I have always been into flash cars and love cars in general (I've never got on with art as I couldn't see the point but have always seen cars as useful art).

However, when we got to NZ I went car shopping in a slightly strange way. We simply took our double buggy along to the showrooms and asked the salesmen what the biggest booted car we could buy for under $X was. Then we put the buggy into the back of it to see how much space was left. We chose the car with the most space left in the back so are now driving around in a blue 2004 Ford Falcon Futura estate.

To be honest NZ doesn't have as many flash cars around as the UK as they seem to be more utilitarian. But if I had to choose between an IS250 and a 350Z then the Z car would have it every time!

OH and I have always been into really nice cars too and have been talking about what we will do once we in NZ. To be honest, the way fuel prices are shooting up, I think we'll be looking at one of the new hybrids. Our current Saab is only giving us around 20 miles to the gallon (ouch!!) and some of the hybrids will do 60 mpg so there's a massive difference. Luckily, BMW are looking at releasing their new hybrid fairly soon I believe so you might be able to have the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
    Hey everyone

I was just wondering what cars everyone went for when they moved over?

I have been a huge fan of German cars and thats actually all I've ever owned. I have never bought new but 6-7 years old lands you a bargain! However I cannot justify the higher prices in NZ so until I am on a higher wage I will be going Japanese.

I have looked at the Lexus Is250 but also considered a nissan 350z for the flash factor.

Anyone got any advice?

Cheers

Andy
    In NZ, "flash" is a Subara Impreza or an old banger with some sort of modifications to make it noisier!
    Old Japanese cars here sure are a bargain
    Whatever you pick up, crack the wing mirror, take a sledgehammer to a passenger door to give it some dents, cram a fishing rod in the back- and you'll be the proud owner of a true kiwi car.

I bought a cheap ($5k) Toyota Windom at auction last year. Just found out that this model is actually a Lexus - poshest car I've ever owned

Quote Originally Posted by AndyR View Post
    Andy
    What is your budget? The cheapest IS250's on TradeMe are $45k and 350Z start at $25k.

You should be able to get a decent 'German' car for $45k.

Flash cars are not such a priority for people over here. They tend to go for more practical ones.

The cars also last longer because they don't rust so much.

I drove a Saab in the States, but we now have a Honda Jazz as the family car. Oddly I don't miss the Saab so much, maybe it's the roads and the petrol here. Now if I can just figure out why I want a Suzuki Swift Sport so much....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast