Thread: Self-Employment in NZ

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Self-Employment in NZ

Are there any constraints with going self-employed in NZ or starting-up your own business

The reason I ask is whilst living in France last year I was doing my draughtsman work via the internet for the UK company I work for. I'm thinking of approaching them again (at the right time) to see if it's possible to do the same in NZ, however as we hope to get PR then I seem to think I may have to register myself as self-employed... just trying to get my facts together before approaching Mr Bossman

Thanks

NZ Immigration isn't a big fan of self-employed.

The "Long Term Business Visa" is available but involves a two-step application process. First - for the business. Second - after the business is established, to see if you will get PR. For the business part they require that it be a "benefit to New Zealand" which usually means employing non-immigrants. They don't consider doing work for a foreign company to be a benefit since you could do that anywhere.

Another way to get in is to get a job at a NZ company and after you get PR and have met any minimum employment time, quit and do self-employment.

Although this forum is pretty much dead you might get some ideas from past posts.

I agree with Bob, self employment won't get you PR. However once you have it via an external job offer you can become registered as self employed very easily here. An accountant can sort it all out very quickly and easily, it might be worth consideriung things like setting up a limited company to keep assets at arms length and split income for tax reasons.

Sorry guys, I should have explained myself more... we're applying for PR using OH as principle applicant as she's a nurse and is more guaranteed to land a job first. There is the likelihood that I'll also find work whilst applying for PR, but may have the luxury once in NZ of still doing my day-to-day work via the internet for the UK company I work for.

Apologies all, but can we start a fresh on this one
    Last edited by Red Devil; 4th June 2008 at 10:12 AM.

Once you are here, with PR, setting up as self employed is simple enough.

Thanks all, that's the answer I was looking for... no issues going self employed, so long as we have PR beforehand.

Thanks again

Correct.

To expand a little, that is what I did.

I work as an IT contractor and was, originally, employed via an agency (effectively PAYE). After that I registered as a sole trader for tax purposes and became self employed paying and claimong my own GST, putting away tax to pay at year end etc. Later I setup a limited company and worked through that.

All was relatively simple to do. You do need to be a citizen or Permanent Resident though, which seems to be the only restriction (aside from the usual banned directors and bankrupts)

So if you receive PR before youu enter, you can enter NZ with any job you want to tackle?

Quote Originally Posted by ant7jen View Post
    So if you receive PR before youu enter, you can enter NZ with any job you want to tackle?
    It would depend on how you got your PR, if it was with a job offer then your PR will likely have a section 18A attached to it. In which case you would have to fulfill that requirement (usually stay in the same job for 3 months).

Ian

We came out here with me as the priciple applicant and a job to go to. One year later I phone up the immigration service and ask if there are any restrictions about who I work for or what job I do. They tell me there are none, I can do what I like.

To actually become self employed I just told the tax people that's what I was doing. No problem.