Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boradband Internet providers

Default Boradband Internet providers

Hi!

We just got our passports with our visas, so now it's time to do some serious preparing.

One question:

What is the best internet service-provider? We are moving to New Plymouth (Taranaki). Does wireless boradband internet even exist in that area, or is that only available in the major cities?

Since I'm taking the Laptop- I'd prefer to have wireless (no need for a landline).

Thanks!

Hi, you could try Whoosh, though I keep hearing they are going down the pan.

Otherwise, you probably will need a landline. I think in NZ when you get internet you have to get a landline also....could be wrong on this. All I recall is that it's a wierd system and it should be changing in the future (something to do with Telecom NZ's monopoly).

Vodafone do a wireless access service. Not sure what the coverage is like in Taranki, might be OK if you're close enough into New Plymouth.

I use Vodafone wireless, and can confirm that it worked absolutely fine in New Plymouth itself. Connection was a little dodgy in the surrounding areas, but that could have been because I was trying to do stuff whilst in the car...

We've got Woosh, as it was the only one we could get without a landline when we first arrived.

The customer service is excellent and when we first got it it was surprisingly quick, because we lived very close to a mast, but when we moved house the mast was further away and we've noticed a big difference in speed. It's also got a bit temperamental of late...

we've now got a landline and would swap over when our contract is up to something that doesn't rely on wireless.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
    I was trying to do stuff whilst in the car...
    Blimey, hope you pulled over as , presumably, you would need both hands free

I think we can do without any further details of your in-car/internet based activities though.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
    I use Vodafone wireless, and can confirm that it worked absolutely fine in New Plymouth itself. Connection was a little dodgy in the surrounding areas, but that could have been because I was trying to do stuff whilst in the car...
    Only problem I see with Vodafone is that they don't allow VoIP according to their website. This is a problem for me as I plan on using VoIP to call home for almost free!

We are with Telstraclear, which we are getting down the cable.
    we're on the 20gig package as my OH downloads a lot of TV programmes!

Also, we have opted not to have a home phone as it is expensive over here... (around $44 a month) and instead we use skype! Which most of the Kiwis find strange!

Just a word of warning - in the UK your internet package is for your downloads only, as all uploads are free. In NZ your package is for your downloads and uploads! We got through 60Gig in the first week! As OH was uploading some websites he had designed - it came as a bit of a shock!

Don't discount Telecom. I'm getting a really good 2MB connection here in Whitby. I'd heard bad things about them, so was dreading the experience, but I can't find anything to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewp View Post
    Only problem I see with Vodafone is that they don't allow VoIP according to their website. This is a problem for me as I plan on using VoIP to call home for almost free!
    What? Are they insane? VOIP is one of the main features of the internet that I would use.... how can they control that, you'd think that somebody would find a way around anything blocking voip...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast