Thread: Need advice about next qualification

Question Need advice about next qualification

Hi all,

I haven't been on here for ages, been really busy with my degree/work/family etc!

This is a bit long so bear with me!!! In 2009 I hope to start teacher training, with the long term goal of moving to NZ as teacher. But, I have an interview on Friday for a relatively new course Early Years Professional Status and was hoping with that and a teaching qualification eventually I might be able to get into Early Years education over in NZ.

Trouble is I am having difficulty organising childcare for my youngest child, and have been told by the Uni I might not get financial help for childcare, in which case I can't afford it anyway. I was on a course today (I'm a teaching assistant) and spoke to someone in the know, who said I might have trouble getting on a teacher training course, if I take a year out of practical experience.

So, should I concentrate on the experience needed for the teaching course next year, or try for the Early Years one, and hope it is recognised in NZ?

I am so confused, but also don't want to waste my time doing a course that is not relevant to NZ, or even worse might scupper my chances of getting on the teacher training later.

Sorry for the ramble, any advice appreciated,

Helen

I saw this course advertised in my staffroom which suggested it was a course for qualified teachers to gain early years qualifications, but when I looked at the UEA website where the EYPS is advertised it seems there are numerous ways to go about it. I also looked at the NZQA site to see if they recognised the qual, but it didnt really say anything except that the GTP teaching qualification may not be recognised:
    "The Qualifications Recognition Service may be unable to assess the GTP employment pathway you completed in order to gain Qualified Teacher Status in the United Kingdom . The Qualifications Recognition Service is only able to assess formal academic based qualifications that have been awarded through a quality assured higher education establishment."
    I guess you need to email NZQA and ask them. If you were going to do teacher training anyway (PGCE, I presume?) then at least you can be sure that the qualification is recognised and any extra courses on top of that would add to your experience and be a bonus.
    I don't think you would be disadvantaged by taking a year out of school as a teaching assistant, especially if it was on a course directly related to teaching children. Besides, I got on my PGCE after 8 years travelling around the world after uni and not a child in sight!!
    I would be interested to know what NZQA said about the course if you get in contact.

Hi

I am also a teacher and went round the houses so to speak when trying to get my quals accepted for NZ teaching (secondary/post 16) by the Teachers Council with whom you need to be registered to be able to teach in NZ. Therefore it may be worth contacting them and seeing whether they can provide you with any info that may help in your course decisions.
    The links below may help:
    http://www.teacherscouncil.govt.nz/
    http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/thinking-...arly-childhood

Secondly my son is at a Montissorri Centre where many of the teachers are from the UK. All have a variety of quals and have worked as fully qualified Early Childhood teachers in the UK, some at Montissorri Centres, but none had the quals to be considered fully qualified in NZ so have all been undertaking courses in NZ 1yr-18mth part time. I seem to remember that there is a change coming in soon implying that you will have to have the relevent qualifications BEFORE you can be employed whereas at the moment if you meet certain criteria (eg PGCE/Teachers Registration in NZ etc.) you can undertake the additional training whilst working.

I am sure someone currently employed in this field may be able to provide more specific info/advice.

Best Of Luck with everything.

Catherine

Hi Helen

Can't really help with your questions, but just wanted to say it's good to hear from you again after a long spell away. I'm sure you'll get the right answers from forum members in the know and which is the best direction to go.

Stick with it, go with your instincts and I'm sure the dream will be fulfilled

Hi all,

Well I have decided to drop out of the Early Years Professional Status course, and concentrate on getting more experience for the teacher training. I might still do the EYPS course later once my youngest is at school and childcare wont be a big hassle.

At the end of the day, NZ might not recognise the EPS anyway, and that was the main reason I wanted to do it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll still be lurking about on here reading everyone elses exciting news, and hope one day I can finally post something actually related to NZ, not just some pipe dream.

Helen