Thread: Construction

Default Construction

Could anyone tell me the employment situatiion in N.Z regarding construction, I'm an interior/exterior plasterer with lots of experience of new exterior render systems, are they used in N/Z at the moment?

Thanks.

Dont take my answer as gospel as i am only a humble Sparky!

But the vast majority of properties here are wooden panelling. Have yet to see many rendered houses, although they are short of most construction trades so i am sure you could find work? Like i said i am no expert on plastering etc, but its very wooden here.

Certainly interior plasters are sort after i believe..

Thanks Lee.

I've looked at them and there's some good info on them.

Thing is I've been plastering since I left school and went straight in to work with one of my fathers friends who showed me the ropes so although highly experienced in all aspects of plastering/rendering have no formal quals, didn't fancy three years studying to push plaster up and down a wall when I was younger and was accustomed to more money than my friends on a yts (those were the days!!)

Would I be right in thinking that I could do an nvq level 3 in the uk then transferring the nvq to N/Z regs?

Thanks.

According to my son in law, plastering in NZ is different in many aspects. Much of the work is external rendering on new houses. Unfortunately the building trade seems in danger of going into recession and my SIL thinks he will be made redundant within a week or two
    He has worked in Hawkes Bay for only 8 months and has been told he will not qualify for unemployment pay as he has not lived and worked in NZ for 2 years.
    I don't know how widespread this situation is, but suggest you check further before committing yourself!
    Would be glad to be proved wrong on this occasion if anyone has information to the contrary.
    Good luck!

Barbara
    Last edited by babscat; 12th June 2008 at 07:32 AM.