Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Salaries in IT

I asked the recruitment consultant that I deal with about my "marketability" in Christchurch the other day. he said that he would be confident in placing me in a position pretty quickly but also said it would be easier in Auckland or Wellington.

I think the chances of getting employment from outside NZ are lower there because there is lower demand, but there are jobs.

I'm going to go completely against my nature and just go out and look when we get there, PR or work permit allowing of course! :hopeso

Cheers,

Mark.

This IT salary survey will give you a general idea of what to expect (click on "view results").

As the number of new IT grads drops (see the News Briefs on this site) and the IT market heats up, salaries are likely to rise in the next few years. Hurray! (my husband is also in desktop/network support)

Hi,
    I've got a list on my website.

Click on 'Emigrating to New Zealand'
    Then 'Career Guides'
    Scroll down to the list on salaries.

I hope that helps.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by veronica
    I don't know what field of IT you are in but the IT work situation generally isn't too good here. theres a lot of people competing for even jobs at the $55k level.
    WHOAAAAAA....IT field is not good in NZ?? that's not good...so why would they/gov. put IT field as one of the shortlist and stuffs?

Quote Originally Posted by xanctus
    WHOAAAAAA....IT field is not good in NZ?? that's not good...so why would they/gov. put IT field as one of the shortlist and stuffs?

shhhhhh! Don't tell the authorities, they might take IT of the POL list.

In the UK the IT world was in free fall but the immigration authorities still allowed fast track visas for any foreigner with IT skills. Now that we are almost out of that situation, they have closed that route into the UK. As usual a bit behind.

Maybe NZ is the same. Personally a few agents in NZ have told me things are picking up rapidly in the last few months..so here's hoping!

bbq

I've just realised what your pic is - 2 bricks yes. You really want those extra points.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave & Sandra
    bbq

I've just realised what your pic is - 2 bricks yes. You really want those extra points.
    My voice is now several octaves higher :? :?

cheers

alex

IT is strong in some areas, like Auckland and Wellington. Remember, NZ only has 4 million people, it is not going to be one big silicon valley!!

IT, from what I've seen and been told, has in no way been in freefall as has been the case here in the UK, it is just a much smaller market, both for those looking for work and those looking for workers. Remember that the POL is not just about NZ now, it is about NZ's future.

Cheers,

Mark.

Curious,

try this link instead: http://www.hays-hps.co.nz - I just checked it out and the salary survey is on the top horizontal bar. That's where I found the info I have on salaries. Others probably have different experience or have heard other things. But I found this one quite useful.

Nisse

I've just landed a project manager position with a web company in Wellington, and as Mark said before, you'd be looking at around $60 - $80k for this role - in Wellington anyway. (And going by our experience here so far, this salary would be plenty for us both to live off - some people's joint incomes are $60k, so this plus Darren's wage should more than provide a decent way of life)

As for the IT job market in general, as long as you've got experience, there seem to be plenty of jobs around, although Darren has been finding that many places want SPECIFIC experience and seem to be looking for a certain person. But as the recruitment companies have said to Darren, it's just a matter of waiting for the right thing to come along. So patience and experience seem to be the key here!

(There are LOADS of Business Analyst jobs and Helpdesk/Support jobs around tho if you're into that area....)

Jod

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast