Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden furniture

Default Wooden furniture

Sorry for posting a probably very daft question (have searched maf/biosecurity site and can't find any answers!) but.

Are there any problems with taking wooden furniture over? As in, pine kitchen table/chairs, wooden sofa bases with leather seats, wooden dressers/display cabinets, TV cabinet, etc? Do they all have to be washed in some chemical or fungicidal mixture? What about wooden cots or bedsteads? (Not painted)

Many thanks in advance if anyone can shed light on this =)

no problem... bring it

i think the only stuff that would be a problem is outdoor wooden stuff that was 'rough hewn' still had bark on etc.

Yup, no problems with that as it's all 'finished' and treated timber.

Thank you =) said it was a daft question but OH read something somewhere about NZ & wood regulations and started worrying that we'd have to leave all the furniture behind! (Although leaving it behind may be no bad thing anyway, it's mostly Ikea )

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BaldyBeardyBloke View Post
    Yup, no problems with that as it's all 'finished' and treated timber.
    Yep ditto.
    When we had the guy from the moving company to give us a quote he mentioned not to take wooden masks (ornamental). I don't quite know what other wooden ornaments they wouldn't like but we have a few things that I need to question although they all came from NZ in the first place.

We have been told that anything made of chipboard would need to be left behind as this is not sealed wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    We have been told that anything made of chipboard would need to be left behind as this is not sealed wood.
    If that was the case then most of the furniture from the UK would have to be left behind.

Chipboard is treated and is normally sealed by a laminate anyway so is fine.

Ian

I will check and let you know, but isn't it why cane furniture is frowned upon i,e, because it is not sealed and bugs etc, can get inside the actual fabric of the furniture?

However, a lot of chipboard flatpacks these days are not laminated where people cannot see which is why I thought what we had been told was correct. We have been told this by thre major relocation companies.

Ian, I have had a look at the MAF website and the wording is very ambiguous but certainly they could treat chipboard as sawn wood according to the wording.

I guess like all things we can all take whatever we like as long as we are willingto possibly pay inspection costs and maybe accept throwing stuff away. I do agree about the amount of furniture that is made from the stuff now though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast