Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Office Boxes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Post Office Boxes

I know this has probably been covered before, but have done searches on the net and on the forum and I can't find anything! :

We want to open one to give to people as an address before we leave and as an initial correspondence address for banking as we plan to open accounts before we leave, and apparently banks will accept them as an address.

How do you get one???? Looked at NZ post and they say that they do one, but dont tell you how to get it!

I don't know if it can be done over the net but we just walked in and got one over the counter, about $148/150 if I remember right. There is a backpackers postal set up that may work for you. I will track down the details and see if it will be suitable.

I think it can only be done in person You need a friend to do it for you at the office you want to have the box at - now if I am wrong, please let me know as well as we want to open one in advance as well if possible!

Neil

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

Yes, someone has to open it in person. This is to ensure that the system isn't 'abused' by fraudsters etc. I think you need to take ID with you when you sign up too.

Post Restante may be worth looking into: CLICK ME

You do have to do it in person (no net access) do you have a mate where you are going?

It is $125 for the yr at the post office in the city here.

Nic

Ah well, guess you can't do everything from the sofa in Scotland eh??

It does make sense for it to be done in person from their point of view, and security.

Thanks anyway, one job on the list to do when we arrive.

Is it not feasable for you to use someone already down there to organise it on your behalf? You could simply send them a personal cheque or wire the cash.

Unfortunately no-one in Auckland, I have a cousin over there somewhere though!

Maybe need to write an email!

Foolsgold,
    What a brilliant idea! I think we'll definitely do that next week when we bop into Wellington. Thanks for that thought!

I'm assuming you can use that as a NZ address for IRD, NZIS, Banks, etc. until you have a more permanent address?

Cheers,
    RoadRunner

Near a North Island beach, in New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo
    Is it not feasable for you to use someone already down there to organise it on your behalf? You could simply send them a personal cheque or wire the cash.
    NZ Post might not like that, and will soon wonder why the box is getting mail for someone seemingly unconnected with it. If you're going to try this you probably should ask if it's ok first.

You can actually send mail care of any post office/post shop. Just address it like this:

Joe Bloggs,
    C/o Hamilton Central Post Office,
    Main Road,
    Hamilton.

When collecting such mail you will need to produce some ID.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast