Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any info on Tauranga and that area??

Wow!! Thanks for all of the info!!
    Timbo--
    I especially like the link to Katikati! That is an awesome looking town!

I appreciate the fact that Tauranga is a fast growing city and that would be a good thing for hubby if he gets the job there. However, we would prefer a smaller town with character and close enough to enjoy the city when the urge hits.
    So any other great areas within commuting distance from Tauranga??

Love to hear about them and appreciate any photos of Tauranga.

richadams--
    Thanks for the info from someone who is living there and comparing it to somewhere in the US!!
    Glad you are happy!
    Beaches look great!! I have been checking the beachcam at Mount Maunganui today!! Sure wish I was there!! :cool

Default Tauranga

Hi Tate6 :cool

We're here to serve!

Regarding Katikati...it’s a very nice little community (in fact we were just there today!) but if your hubby is going to actually work in Tauranga, it wouldn't be practical for him to make that drive every day...depending on the time of day, it can take from about 45 minutes to an hour - or longer if his job is in the southern-most part of town.

Te Puna to the north is nice and much closer...Te Puke is to the south and also about the same distance...both nice places, but it all depends on where his work will be as it's mostly two-lane roads in and out of Tauranga.

P.M. me if you have any specific questions!

If you ( or hubby) dont mind the drive into Tga, then another spot up the road even further is Waihi. This is the town where Billy C visited the gold mine in the recent series.
    It is quite small with a population to match. Property is MUCH cheaper than Tga etc.

http://www.waihi.org.nz/pages/home.htm

Default Waihi

Hi All :cool

Waihi is also a nice little town, worth a look, but not within commuting distance of Tauranga unless you are in love with your dashboard. A drive from the CBD (Central Business District) to Waihi takes well over an hour one way...longer should you have the luck of being caught behind a logging truck or some nature of farm implement! :eek

Also keep in mind that the commute to Tauranga from either the north or south will be made even longer for the next few years as road construction is constant...30kph zones are very common now and by all accounts will be into the foreseeable future. :? The closer you can be to town the better if you have to drive in daily. If not...you have a lot of choices in many directions...as Timbo points out, for more affordable and quite beautiful property.

Rich. An hour commute each way would be like heaven to a lot of Brits, especially those that use the lovely M25.

Timbo, especially with the difference of scenery too! :P

Mike & Nicola, I would have to agree with you there. Although, I found the scenery somewhat distracting when there on holiday. Guess you get used to it if not blase.
    I do admit that I am quite lucky in only having to travel very locally for my work. Had a shock to the system recently though. I had get to a contract in Sth. London for a six week stint. One hour to travel 12 miles. And that was NOT during the typical rush hour.

Default Tauranga

Hi Timbo and All :cool

Agreed, an hour commute wouldn't be too terrible if that were always the case...I've had worse myself. The great thing is you never have to deal with that here. Affordable housing can be found much closer in to almost anywhere...certainly less than 60K from your office! :eek Once you factor in the cost of fuel and maintenance (local roads are not kind to cars here compared to a freeway commute) the slightly higher priced housing closer to town becomes very reasonable.

We've driven all the "M's" around London (also used to drive all of the freeways in Los Angeles which are even worse)...the difference is that there are three or four lanes each way. Here almost everything is one lane each way (with the very occasional passing lane)...all it takes is one vehicle or God forbid an accident and the world stops cold. Unfortunately that happens fairly often. :? So an hour can turn into two in a heartbeat.

So luckily you really don't have to make that kind of sacrifice here...what a country!

Oh, and after almost a year, the scenery can still be breathtaking.

Thanks Rich. There really is NO substitute for on the ground type info.

Quote Originally Posted by jo b
    Terry,

Lucky you. Tauranga is the fastest growing town in NZ. It has a pop off approxiamtely 100k.

it is where lots of Kiwi's go to holiday as there as it is one of the driest areas in NZ.

Bethlehem is a nice area, Pyes Pa is growing rapidly. It is a little lore expensive on the mount as it is nearer to the beach.
    Papamoa is V popular too.

try these links too.

http://www.taurangarealestateguide.co.nz/
    http://www.tki.org.nz/e/schools/grap...ranga_District

Tauranga is one of the areas Kiwi's most want to live (according to surveys :? )

Overall it is beautiful

Jo
    jo b,

thanks for sharing the links, it gives me an idea how other areas in nz look like. and the rentals look good too, so maybe if we move there, we won't get lost.

annie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12