Thread: The move back to NZ - The returning Kiwi perspective!

Default The move back to NZ - The returning Kiwi perspective!

So - We recently returned to NZ after living in the UK for 6 years. Although we are kiwis we were still a bit worried about what had changed in NZ since we left. Here are my thoughts:
    Shipping Co: We read all the horror stories on this forum and took the safest option - We booked sole use of a container with John Mason and the Moving Co. We cleaned all our outdoors stuff VERY thoroughly with Jeyes fluid twice - including shoes. We had custom crates built for our favourite paintings.
    We were very happy with both companies, all our things arrived on time, still in the sealed container with not one breakage. The packers were brilliant in the UK - they used so much paper it was incredible (its recyclable in nz so dont worry)
    MAF: MAF wanted to inspect 11 boxes. To avoid paying the extra fee at the nz end for the MAF inspection (this is a hidden charge really) say you will pay MAF directly. We paid the Moving Co a small fee for organising it and then once MAF had decided what they wanted to look at (in advance) we just had the money ready for them on the day. No problems.
    What to bring to NZ: If you are taking a sole use container like us then FILL IT UP. Bring everything you can - everything you can think of is more expensive in NZ than in the UK. We regretted not shoving in more IKEA furniture, books, kitchen utensils (for eg: Jamie Oliver saucepans are about $300 each here!), sports gear etc.
    Another weird hint: bring all the basic medical supplies you can. I was staggered by how much things like nurofen, hayfever tablets, sticking plasters etc are in NZ. I guess you cant take a lifetime supply but the more the better!
    If this helps anyone then great...im glad to say the whole moving experience was very painless. Adjusting to the NZ way of life however, is a whole different ballgame!!

Great post and very interesting to hear a slightly different perspective to 'the norm'

I'd be interested to hear more, like your view of NZ once you land - its really informative stuff. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slowloris View Post
    What to bring to NZ: If you are taking a sole use container like us then FILL IT UP. Bring everything you can - everything you can think of is more expensive in NZ than in the UK. We regretted not shoving in more IKEA furniture, books, kitchen utensils (for eg: Jamie Oliver saucepans are about $300 each here!), sports gear etc.
    Another weird hint: bring all the basic medical supplies you can. I was staggered by how much things like nurofen, hayfever tablets, sticking plasters etc are in NZ. I guess you cant take a lifetime supply but the more the better!
    Totally agree on the medical supplies suggestion. Prices are shocking. And don't forget batteries. Not sure why but the ones here don't last. And shaving supplies. Brita filters if you use a filter jug. Etc. Etc