Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Blankets... energy suckers?

Question Electric Blankets... energy suckers?

Are electric blankets known for sucking up electricity? Our bill has doubled for the last 2 months to $390/$350 - that's with the wetback now firing our hot water and only 1 oil rad on timer in bedroom... the main difference is we have the elec blankets (it's dual) on for 2 hrs at night.... surely that can't be making all the difference?

AND.. I've been turning off all our lights and tv etc etc in attempt to save energy..

The elec readings are all actual readings as we recently got a new meter thingy that relays the readings back to wherever....

We have ours on for just half an hour and do the cuddling thing, well we are newly weds, just

Expect leccy bill to escalate due to imminent arrival of Sam for good and Mother in law for 3 months

OMG...........$390/350 is that a month or over 2 months? I thought ours had gone up but $109 for the past month seems pretty cheap now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Helen, I think they are only 3-4 cents an hour to use so it cant be that!

I think your new meter is spinning 2x faster than it should be!!

Tanya

Our winter bills can get to $300 (have you SEEN the height of our ceilings ) but having done the energy saving exercises and as the house and water is heated by coal and wood.. i can't fathom it!!

I'd ask them to test the meter - that can't be right.

Or maybe do a 'self test' meter reading over a couple of 24 hour periods - you know what I mean......LOL!

Julie

xx

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    Our winter bills can get to $300
    Over winter we would be thrilled to have our bills near $300

Tanya

Really Tanya - are yours more than mine a month?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Over winter we would be thrilled to have our bills near $300

Tanya
    Ours were never that high and that's electric and gas combined - no wood burner.

If you want to see how much electricity things are costing you then you may consider one of these Elto Power Meter, you set it up and then plug in whatever appliance you want into it and it will tell you the cost (Last time I checked this product was cheaper at the warehouse).

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Moorf View Post
    Really Tanya - are yours more than mine a month?

Well I have just gone through the bills spreadsheet that Richard has on his computer.

Our worst one was $552(gulp) but the previous month had only been $200 estimate so over the 2 months it wasnt so bad.

This months was $317 - with the 10% discount. Bear in mind I am home all day, 3 oil heaters on for a couple of hours each night and morning for bedrooms, large oven on most nights and a heat pump, often 4 computers and 4 tvs going all at the same time too

TBH - now we have double glazing and have insulated the underfloor its not so bad now but I would certainly be checking your meter!

Out of interest what do you get charged on your bills as the price per kilowatt hour?

Tanya

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast