Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Plumbing Trade NZ.

Chrissie trigger finger. :

A migrant plumber may not just go self-employed.

1] First step is the limited license, which you must have ,to work legally with plumbing or gas.
    Even then , you will be on a lower rate of pay, and must be supervised by a Registered Craftsman with all your work being inspected and signed off.
    [ok plumbing guys - we know thats not what happens in practice and why]

2] Take & pass the annual registration exams. UK qualification assessment before this is allowed by PGDB....IF UK quals not acceptable to PGDB also sit and pass National exams.

3] Sit practical assessments.Full-time at a training provider, 3 wks plumbing , 1wk gas. [however no-one seems to have settled on what exactly this will entail for the migrant] For us it means one month away in Wellington - unpaid , plus funding the course and accom. etc.

4] Work within your trade as a Registered plumber etc. for two years.

5] Following two years, sit your Master Craftsman exam and any further practical assessments.

6] Bingo . Three /Four years on you are now a Master Craftsman Kiwi style and are allowed to legally become self-employed in NZ..... if you have survived financially - that is.

This does not apply to those with the means to set up a plumbing business , as opposed to self employment , and employ said Master and Registered craftsmen.

DanPoll
    We know another plumber up here in Nelson who is on $17 per hour plus 50 cents tool allowance. Went for another job and got offered $15 per hour.
    When we were job hunting the rate did vary. In Hastings Phil was offered just $17 per hour.
    A company in Wanaka offered him $22 plus tool allowance, but it was just too expensive to live there at all.
    We didn't get to Christchurch or Dunners, cos we settled on the Nelson job offer.

Couple of chippies we know of here are on $15 per hour.. though Phil met one on site that was $17 per hour.. thats good for a chippy. Chippies do seem to be the worst paid here, unless they go on to be builders themselves.

Iain

THe company Phil works for ,Days, has just been bought by a Christchurch Maintenance company. The new owners are Geoff something or other!. We have hopes for these new owners.

We know a bloke who was in Tauranga [ now in the UK again] who was bitten by a spider whilst under the house and ended up in hospital for a couple of weeks. Those hatches are a bit of a joke eh?

Phil sat the exam and got 59%. We have sent in the paper for reconsideration. Yet more money forked out. Going to evening college is a great way to get your hands on the necessary info. re the exam.Unfortunately, up here, the nearest place for this is Wellington. Phil did go away on a refresher two day course I found, in Auckland.

We do have several exam questions and answers, which I would copy and send to anyone interested. Likewise the refresher course info.

Re attitudes... well , lets just say , not what one , as adults, would have expected. Will PM you on this as suggested.

Anyone else in trades out there at all????????

Bev,
    re this very old thread, was wondering if the best thing to do then (as a qualified plumber in the uk) is to come over on the points gained by my qualification and then do something completely different? Sounds to me like i'd prefer to earn 2 or 3 dollars less and be a postie.
    Any thoughts?

Very good point John. That exact thought had crossed my mind more than once. I still can't get my head around the fact that NZ make it so difficult for skilled people to live and work there,ie: proving quals' and experience, then only certain certification is good enough. Eventually, when you are issued with PR, and arrive in NZ you can basically do what you want to, or afford to.
    I'm a Fitter/toolmaker by trade + have electrical installation certs aswell ( UK ), but once we land in NZ I could do as I please with regard to work. I'm not knocking it, but hey, it don't make sense. ???

John

im a plumber,i will be in auckland april,

OMG what have i done

anyone with questions,please pm them me

please

please

my hairs turning grey as i post

Is it difficult for all trademen to go self employed? Or is it more difficult for plummers/gas fitters? If this is a daft question, sorry!

I'm hoping to get to NZ by August- do electricians have to go under the floor too? And did I hear someons say..................SPIDERS!

Oh my god i wanna be a postie too!

we appear to have made a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig decision over whether we should just go for it tonight. (admittedley under the influence) we have decided to go for it. what have we got to lose eh??????????

b*****ks.............................you only get one shot

Great!! i got pr approved today and this is the first thread i have read today regarding plumbing, what grim reading. i have been self employed doing plumbing and heating for some years in blighty and this doesn't make me feel hopeful.
    post office here i come!!!!
    P+H

Talking Don't be put off - just be prepared.

Hi all.

Just had a quick peek in here and there you all are .

Don't be put off - Just be prepared for what's involved.

As I previously stated, you may not just become Self-Employed here in NZ. My husband was also self-employed for many years. He has been qualified as a plumber/gasfitter for 30 years.

Your plumbing qualifications are assessed by the PGDB of New Zealand ONLY to ascertain whether or not they feel you can sit their registration exams . In order to be eligible re. plumbing, your UK quals. must be to a City and Guilds advanced or an NVQ 4 or above. you must also have valid work experience.
    With regard to gasfitting - same as above plus you must be CORGI registered.

The registration exams are what the final year apprentices take after they finalise their apprenticeships and receive their National Certificate.
    Until you pass the registration exams you will not be regarded as 'qualified' by the Plumbing Board here.

Once you have sat and passed the registration exams, which happen once a year in November, you are a New Zealand Registered plumber. Your work will no longer have to be signed off/commissioned .

If you hope to become Self-employed here, there are a further two exams. At present the PGDB of NZ require you to wait a further two years before you can sit these exams.
    There are two papers to sit. One is a business paper, The other is another plumbing exam paper.

With all the above exams , you also have to take assessments of practical workmanship and pass them

Don't despair & don't give up. New Zealand is a good place to live. You just have to beat that wretched PGDB at their own game by being prepared and passing the archaic exams. Budget for the costs & time involved.

An update on my severely dyslexic husband and the trade exams:-

Well - despite the attitude of the PGDB towards dyslexia, my husband sat both the gas and plumbing exams again this year.
    We collated together all the books, old exam papers and information we could to help with revision and NZ plumbing/gasfitting exam technique .
    We found a two day course and sent him on it.

He passed both exams with good marks !

If my dyslexic husband can do it - so can you all.

Any help I can give to you , please PM me.
    I have put together a reading list. All of the items on that list were used extensively to get us through those exam questions.

I also have copies of old exam questions and answers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast