Thread: Wicker/seagrass items

Default Wicker/seagrass items

Has anybody tried to take wicket / seagrass items in . I have quite a lot of expensive laundrybaskets , organisers and placemats made of seagrass and wicker and according to shipping agent we should leave all behind . He did mention that we might be able to take it in if it is professionally fumigated . Does anybody have any advise

Quote Originally Posted by angelofamily View Post
    Has anybody tried to take wicket / seagrass items in . I have quite a lot of expensive laundrybaskets , organisers and placemats made of seagrass and wicker and according to shipping agent we should leave all behind . He did mention that we might be able to take it in if it is professionally fumigated . Does anybody have any advise
    I brought some that had been painted thinking they might be acceptable to MAF, and they never even wanted to look at them. !

I was told the same thing & started giving away wicker baskets & about to sell a chair or 2 then thought again & bought it with me & it was fine. Not sure if they were looked at by MAFF but it all got here OK, not sure if they may have just been hidden & not documented properly

We brought in Wicker chairs with no problems. But am sure the straw baskets the MAF would check those out

We were also told not to take anything by one guy who gave us a quote, but we got rid of anything 'raw' and brought everything that had been treated, varnished or painted. No problems at all.

Bx

When the chap from Maff came round and checked our bikes I mentioned the wicker I left behind he said "Nah it would of been fine, you could of brought it", so there you go. I wish I had.

We brought alot of seagrass items, as well as wicker. Contacted MAF direct before we had packers in....who had advised us we were not allowed to take such items. However, MAF said OK.....give all items good hoover & wipe. They said may want to fumigate, but it is nowhere near as expensive as most people fear, but most of the time things are OK.