Thread: Sponsorship by relative

Lightbulb Sponsorship by relative

Hi all,

Am new to the forum.

I have an aunt (my dad's sister) who is single, in her early 50's, working as a nurse in Auckland. Would like to ask her to sponsor myself & my partner (both are in health care jobs) to New Zealand. I looked at Immigration NZ website but couldn't find any info on how to start the ball rolling, what to expect etc.

Appreciate some guidance, advice, help.

Thanks in advance!

might be tricky as I also got sister live in auckland, despite she live there over 3 years by time we moved to NZ, she couldn't sponsor me.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

About your query, I'm afraid you aren't going to have any luck with family sponsorship from your aunt. Here's the link to the correct part of NZIS, and a quote from it. As you'll see, nieces/nephews don't come into it. Have you looked at immigrating under one of the other categories - say, Skilled Migrant?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...categories.htm

Family Permanent Residence
    You may apply to come to New Zealand to live if you are sponsored by a family member who is already a New Zealand citizen and/or resident. You must be in one of the groups shown below.

Partner – you are the husband, wife, defacto or civil union partner of a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
    Dependent Child – you are a dependent child with a parent who is a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
    Parent – you have a child who is a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.
    Brother, sister or adult child – you have a brother, sister or adult child who is a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident.

If you are a New Zealand citizen or permanent resident you may be able to sponsor your partner, dependent child, parent, adult child, brother or sister.

Yes, I have filled up the EOI. Just sent the preliminary assessment to NZQA too. Just wanted to explore other options.

Am puzzled why I don't get any points for IELTS results of > 6.5, being healthy or not having a criminal record?

I suppose that being healthy and not having a criminal record is the norm and doesn't really deserve any points. It's like at school (I'm a secondary teacher) when some teachers award students merit points for simply sitting in their seats!!!

Cool

Thought that every section in the EOI will have points. Anyway, will wait for NZQA PAR to be done before I can complete the EOI.

to all

Post By the way

I managed to get some points by putting my aunt's details in the EOI Points now > 140 since my partner & I are applying together

Are you sure you are eligible for extra points through your relationship with your aunt? On the NZIS website it says:
    Close family in New Zealand

You can earn points under the Skilled Migrant Category if you have a close family member in New Zealand.

Your New Zealand family member must be you or your partner's adult brother or sister, adult child, or parent living in New Zealand. To be eligible to provide their support they must be a resident or citizen of New Zealand, and New Zealand must be their primary place of residence.
    http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/CloseFamilyinNZ.htm

Well, I entered my aunt's info & that gave me some points. Therefore, right now, I just enter whatever info & hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by anothertrekker View Post
    Well, I entered my aunt's info & that gave me some points. Therefore, right now, I just enter whatever info & hope for the best.
    I'm confused, are you saying that the form allowed you to specify relationship as Auntie and then gave you points? Or are you just filling the EOI with whatever you want just to get enough points?

I hope it's not the later, because when your EOI is selected it will be checked and then just put back in the pool.

And what would be just as bad, is if you are claiming points that you don't actually need then you will have to prove them which will mean additional checking making the process take longer... in the spirit of the latest cigaratte ads... it's just not worth it, eh!

Ian