Thread: Malaysia Airlines vs Air New Zealand

Default Malaysia Airlines vs Air New Zealand

I`m starting to check out flights. I`ve found that there`s less than $100 difference between Malaysia Airlines and Air New Zealand. Does anyone have any ideas which airline might be better. Of course, it may all come down to baggage allowance in the end!
    Thanks!

We are going Air NZ. Our eldest son was 10yrs old when we went to NZ for the 2nd time and some...Passenger threw up all over him and the aircrew were brilliant.
    Understanderbly he was not keen on getting back on the plane to come home but again the staff were brilliant and gave us extra seats and really looked after us.
    So that and baggage allowance means air NZ via LAX.
    But I have never travelled with Malaysia so can't compare directly.

Mels

Hi,

we were looking at a few some weeks back and are thinking of going with Malaysia Airlines when we make the move. We found a review site (sorry can't remember what it is) and generally they were not only cheaper, but also offered a better seat pitch and had higher ratings all round compared to Air NZ, Quantas, BA, Emirates, Singapore Airlines etc etc.

But each to their own at the end of the day as 1 bad experience is more likely to be complained about over 100 good experiences being praised these days!

If I find that site, I will add it on to the thread
    Jules x

Do you subscribe to 'Which' Magazine? They had a section on airlines this month. For long-haul, they rank Air NZ third (out of 42) and Malaysia Air tenth. New Zealand did better on pre-flight and entertainment scores.

I've flown both and I would happily fly with either of them again. Air New Zealand seemed to have the edge on service, but if I had to choose, I'd go with whoever had the most convenient schedule.

The space with the seats varies by aircraft. If you know which planes fly on the routes you are looking at, you can check them out on www.seatguru.com

Ah ha!....found it!

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/seats.htm

Have a look, but like you say, your decision will come down to baggage allowance probably.

They are both good airlines but if you are travelling with young kids, I would recommend Malaysian. While we (BH and I) may vote for Singapore or Cathay as the best overall airline, we rank Malaysian #1 when it comes to looking after the little ones.

I've travelled to Malaysia a lot with Malaysian, and we came here on them so we could stop off en route. KL airport is great- so peaceful and spacious compared to Heathrow. They have movies on demand which may help keep kids entertained. I'd reckomend the 10pm flight out of london - lets you wake up at a reasonable time and helps you sleep on the flight.

The big bonus on our trip was that the KL to Auckland leg was really quiet and we got rows to ourselves. You can never guarantee that, bit when it happens it's great!

Good luck

Julie

Thanks for the replies.

one thing to consider....if you are on AC aeroplan, you can get points on Air NZ. n not sure if thats true of Maylasian air.

Gloria