Thread: Growing Orchids

Default Growing Orchids

Hi - does anyone grow Orchids? Would especially like to hear from people in Christchurch. Hubby has amazing " green fingers" and currently has so many orchids. I know the weather is better here in SA, but we are keen to find out how Orchids do in NZ. Esp in cooler climate in Christchurch. Grateful for any input.....

Doesn't anyone grow Orchids in NZ???? Does anyone grow plants?

There was a little thread on orchids a while ago and I thought it was in the South Island

I'll have a search

Mels

Try this
    http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....hlight=orchids

I'm having to give all mine to my sister before we leave

Mels

You have a PM, Roper. I have grown orchids here for about 8 years, but always in Northland. I have never even been to a show in Chch, so I don't know what sort of thing is most prevalent there.

The NZ orchid market is tiny, so the range of plants is not as good as you might find elsewhere. Plus the govt (MAF & ERMA) have almost completely stopped the importation of ANY new species into the country. If your OH is good with flasks, then the range will be alot better. Sometimes lab owners come over from Aus for speaking tours and bring boxes full of flasks with them. I ended up with about 15 flasks the last time someone did that, I won't see most of them flower, unfortunately.

What sorts of orchids does your husband concentrate on? I might be able to post some names of people to contact when you arrive. Same for you, Mels.

I'm only a beginer, my sister always get the ones I can't get to flower - then they flower profusly. So I need easy ones.

Mels

My neighbour's brother-in-law lives near Auckland and has a large orchid growing operation up there, not South Island but I'm sure I could ask any questions of them....

Thanks Moorf... would appreciate that!!! Maybe we should think of North and not South.........