Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre Fab Houses

Default Pre Fab Houses

Hi, just back from recce visit in Hawkes Bay.

We looked at a lot of houses and we're thinking that building our own may be the way to go.

Has anyone any experience of building a pre fab house as they seem the best value for money. If anyone has built them, what are your opinions on the quality and value for money?

Thanks

If you search...building houses in the top tool bar...something should come up....I think about 3 ( that I can remember) posted photos and the whole process, and one of these ( Lupin) was in Hawkes Bay...

I would get the links for you but I am already late for work!!!!!

J x

Cheers Holland, I tried pre fab and nothing came up so i'll type in like you say.

Have a good day at work :-)

We had a transportable home built on our site (a bit of a misnomer, it was too big to go on the road at the time). It was a Sunshine Home, and we are extremely happy with it. Two fellas built it in 6 weeks!

Lupin built an A1 kit house....here is link to thread:

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....ighlight=house

Unfortunately she has left the forum so don't know exactly how they got on with finished build (http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....ghlight=lupin)

.......does anyone have any contact details as I would love to find out how the finished house was

She was asked to leave the forum ... I've tried to make contact since - but unsuccessfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam B View Post
    She was asked to leave the forum ... I've tried to make contact since - but unsuccessfully.

Was wondering if she was still on that Lifestylers forum but haven't thought to look until just now.

While you're not looking for info on green builds, there may some info in this thread to help with your considerations on modulars/transportables:

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....ht=green+built

Thank you all! great info

Default It's the Future

I would predict more and more house will be built this way in NZ. It's far too costly to manually cut 1 piece of 2x4 at a time to build a framed wall on site than to have the wall completely built at the framing plant and then transported to site for fitting.

However, this present a problem in NZ. Like engineered wood trusts, the building of the house must have VERY LOW TOLLERANCES. That is there little to no allowance for gaps or mis-alignments or uneven concrete foundation. Because you are bringing in a pre-fabed wall that is built to the exact dimension elsewhere, and then put together like Lego on the job site.

Majority of the small builders in NZ don't build this way. With the way the gov't has regulated the building industry, you will find only the big boy contractors are the only ones around - hence pre-fab home construction.

BQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast