Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are UK DVD's compatable with NZ DVD players?

Question Are UK DVD's compatable with NZ DVD players?

I have a small but good collection of films on DVD, will they be playable in NZ?

Hi

We sold most of ours in the UK, bringing just a dozen or so over with us.

Some work, some dont...........quite strange!

Sharon
    x

it depends on the region lock on the films themselves. if in doubt get a £17 jobbie from asda and get a multi region hack off tinternet and take it with you

Quote Originally Posted by thejoz View Post
    I have a small but good collection of films on DVD, will they be playable in NZ?
    Bring them all with you.

NZ DVDs are region 4 and UK are region 2.

If you've got a DVD player already then see if it is 'multi-region' or region-free and if so then no problems. If not then see if it can be changed i.e. many DVD players can be switched to region free very simply, so check on your make and model.

Otherwise, when you get to NZ, buy a multi-region player (much more common here) as you can buy DVDs from various regions already e.g. US, UK, NZ etc which will then be able to play your existing DVDs and any you buy in NZ.

Ian

Default Depends on the zone

DVDs and DVD players have area zones. The DVD may be tagged to limit the areas it can be viewed or the player may be constrained as to which zones it can read.

If you buy a DVD player in NZ, just make sure it is suitable for zone "0" which is the term often used to describe suitable for all zones.

If you bring your UK DVD player it might not be able to read NZ CDs. If it is zone "0" it will read any. Most players can be unlocked - instructions are available on numerous sites for specific models. Often it's a simple matter of pressing buttons and entering a code.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_codes

Great, thanks everyone.

a useful site I have used a fair amount for encoding/decoding etc.. also provides a database of DVD players and, if the player has been added, a possible hack for the region coding.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

Cheers,

Dave

Just a note to say that in most parts of the world the local copyright legislation means that multi-region DVD players are unlawful to own, however in NZ our copyright laws give you the full right to own a multi region DVD player.

It is also legal for companies to bring in DVDs from other regions and sell them here (the so-called "Grey Market"), but only six months after the theatrical release date.

We've bought two DVD players since we arrived here and both are multi-regional, playing all our UK DVDs and NZ DVDs.

I think if you can google your player to be decoded on the region, then you will be able to see almost every DVDs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast