Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Zealand v Canada

Quote Originally Posted by kanatakiwi View Post
    I too tell myself that we will be better off here if the US madly causes its own destruction,
    That's a pretty near-sighted comment, but it's certainly your right to feel that way....

Craig - I took a good hard look at a couple places in Canada - Vancouver and Toronto (not Nova Scotia, no jobs for me), and generally speaking Canada had quite bit to offer but each place had something that wouldn't work out for me. Toronto was way too cold in the winter, and Vancouver was too densely populated. We liked what we saw in NZ, Christchurch specifically. For us, the cost of imported goods (clothes, cars, electronics) was discouraging, as was the overall lack of options/choices for many things, but other things will make up for it. For you, it will all come down to what best meets your "needs" and what has the potential to meet your "wants".

As they say, your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason2112 View Post
    That's a pretty near-sighted comment, but it's certainly your right to feel that way....
    Ok sorry if that offended you Jason.... I was really responding to Craig's comment which was: "Also i share the world problems view as in if america came under attack it would be safer to be away in new zealand" .

As to Craigs question: "also if you are not well off how do you afford to visit canada often as you said? what jobs do you and OH do? "

I never said I was not well off, just that we were better off in Canada. My comment was: We were certainly much better off financially in Canada, but we are doing fine here too and its not always just about money.

Gloria

Quote Originally Posted by kanatakiwi View Post
    Ok sorry if that offended you Jason.... I was really responding to Craig's comment which was: "Also i share the world problems view as in if america came under attack it would be safer to be away in new zealand"
    No offense taken (it takes a LOT more than that to offend me ) but it does bother me that so many people have a negative outlook of the US, whether directly or by association. Nearly all of the negative views of the US are about and/or supported by a minority group of people here; the majority of US citizens (myself included) are just along for the ride and want no part of the negativity.

I agree with you Jason, the one reason we have chosen NZ over Canada is how densly populated Vancouver is its a lovely beautiful city my FIL lives in Surrey when we visited in 1997 he lived out in the open lots of space on a visit in 2004 this had all been built on and from what I understand is now surrounded. However I think this would be our second choice should we not get into NZ although we might llokk at Alberta where they are requiring Brits

Quote Originally Posted by Janey View Post
    , the one reason we have chosen NZ over Canada is how densly populated Vancouver is its a lovely beautiful city
    Vancouver is on a par with Auckland in size, congestion, sprawling growth, and population. once outside either city you can find beautiful rural and small town locations.
    Alberta is VERY COLD in winter! however a very rich province, no sales tax, lots of millionaires due to the huge oil reserves there.
    Gloria

Quote Originally Posted by Jason2112 View Post
    No offense taken (it takes a LOT more than that to offend me ) but it does bother me that so many people have a negative outlook of the US, whether directly or by association. Nearly all of the negative views of the US are about and/or supported by a minority group of people here; the majority of US citizens (myself included) are just along for the ride and want no part of the negativity.
    I agree with you Jason. Many people WRONGLY associate Americans with the greedy, oil-obsessed corporate culture which is GLOBAL in nature IMO. There are just as many "baddies" in Europe and elsewhere. I always try to defend America as I have great experiences from my exchange student year living in small town, rural Idaho. Great place and lovely people And there is so much beautiful nature in the whole of North America. Many "critics" have very little real knowledge...media gives a very one-sided view of issues in many parts of the world IMO.

Anyway, back to the original thread... Canada versus NZ. I have great experiences in Canada although I have only visited it on holidays (great nature, people etc). The climate could be a shock to many. But hey I am a Finn and I love the snow and -30C temperatures and cleaning the car of snow and ice every morning for several months a year. And ice hockey...awww, the one thing I will be missing in NZ as I already do in the UK...

To original poster: ask yourself whether you can entertain yourself outdoors when it's very cold unless you are happy to become a couch potato for a several months a year. Yes, I do ski-touring when it's -25C and sleep in a lean-to-shelter in a sleeping bag. There's loads to do but the question is whether you consider it too "extreme".

We seriously considered Canada, in particular Vancouver, as I have an Auntie & Uncle who live on Vancouver Island (Parksville) and so thought this would help with sponsorship and more importantly settling.

So last October we visited B.C. for 3 weeks. We flew from Manchester to Calgary and stayed with my cousin for 3 days, taking in the sights as you do. We then went onto Banff & the Rockies for 4 days and then travelled across B.C. to stay with my other cousin in Vernon, again staying for a few days and taking in the sights. We finally ended up in Vancouver and first impressions were impressed with the city... OH had an interview at the General Hospital and was offered a position in her field of Renal with excellent salary to match, complete with relocation package OH said she'd need time to think and would get back to them once we'd returned back to our home in France. After doing the touristy thing in Vancouver, we then went onto Vancouver Island to see my Auntie & Uncle for 3 days to have a good chin-wag about our thoughts and ideas.

I think it was at this stage that we decided Canada was not for us... don't get me wrong, it's a great country with very friendly people but something just didn't quite feel right. We we're living in rural France at the time of our visit to Canada and felt quite intimidated in most Canadian towns and cities... large volumes of traffic, over-crowding, high levels of crime mentioned on local news, etc.

Without wishing to waffle on too much, it wasn't until we'd visited NZ in April of this year that we finally realised why Canada hadn't hit the spot for us... it's just too BIG. That might not be a problem for most folk, but we personally like the size of NZ and the opportunities it has to offer for us. We also like the way they manage their immigration and who they let into the country and it just generally feels far safer and could become home far quicker than anywhere else.

We've been very fortunate to have visited both countries within 6 months of each other, which in all honesty is the only way you'll draw a conclusion on matters (but not necessarily in that timeframe)... if you too have that opportunity, I'd take it before making a decision!!!

Best of luck
    Last edited by Red Devil; 10th July 2008 at 03:41 AM.

i guess the main problem factors i am now thinking are,

Canada - the weather, too cold for an outdoor lifestyle that i want for my kids, i know there is skiing but you can do that in NZ also.

New Zealand - main worry is money and will it be possible to return to the UK every 18 months or so.

With the upward trend in oil prices looking likely to continue, the affordability of returning to the UK every 18 months or so looks doubtful to me. On an average kiwi salary, at least.

Craig
    I could not guarantee that you could do that from Canada either my FIL and partner have really good jobs and they would not be able to do this it does depend on you lifestyle fares from cnada to the UK are not cheap, also the exchange rate like NZ and OZ would worka gainst you so you would be paying double for everything on visits to the UK. FIl has always siad if the conversion was $1 to £1 cost of living would be the same both FIL and BIL came over last week for the chrsitening and both of them could not believe the costs for petrol eating out etc without even converting.
    Flights too were expensive for both I think FIL in the end used points that had taken 3 years to save., which is when they lst came out. To pt it in perpective FIL is in IT with vast experience and salary into 3 figures no dependant kids etc, BIL and wife are both lawyers in oz no kids need I say more

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast