Thread: Cost of PR from NZ??

Default Cost of PR from NZ??

HI all,

Don't suppose anyone knows if it is cheaper to apply for PR from NZ rather than UK?

Whatever way we get to NZ, we are going to have to sell the house first, so if it is considerably cheaper to apply for PR from NZ then we might do that.

We are thinking of going as visitors, trying to get a job offer and work permits, then all being well apply for PR. If things don't work out like that, we will have had a 6 month holiday of a lifetime.

I think if house market was like it was last year we would sell up and apply from UK, but as it stands there is slim chance we would be able to sell in the timeline, and just don't have the funds to complete whole PR process and the move without the house sale.

I am definitely going round in circles with 'what ifs' here, bet I am driving everyone nuts, sorry.

Helen

Quote Originally Posted by 5kings View Post
    HI all,

Don't suppose anyone knows if it is cheaper to apply for PR from NZ rather than UK?

Whatever way we get to NZ, we are going to have to sell the house first, so if it is considerably cheaper to apply for PR from NZ then we might do that.

We are thinking of going as visitors, trying to get a job offer and work permits, then all being well apply for PR. If things don't work out like that, we will have had a 6 month holiday of a lifetime.

I think if house market was like it was last year we would sell up and apply from UK, but as it stands there is slim chance we would be able to sell in the timeline, and just don't have the funds to complete whole PR process and the move without the house sale.

I am definitely going round in circles with 'what ifs' here, bet I am driving everyone nuts, sorry.

Helen
    AFAIK, the cost of PR is officially the same in each country, where they work out each countries charges based on some fixed exchange rate for that country.

So, cheaper would depend on the rate that they fixed it at compared to the current exchange rate.

Ian

I know how you are feeling - all the fees certainly drain the piggy bank !!!!!!! I am now raiding the kids ones

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    AFAIK, the cost of PR is officially the same in each country, where they work out each countries charges based on some fixed exchange rate for that country.

So, cheaper would depend on the rate that they fixed it at compared to the current exchange rate.

Ian
    I was thinking are medicals etc considerably cheaper really. I sort of knew the main expenses would be the same.

Thanks though!

Helen

welcome to the queue of going around in circles

It sounds as though Im in a very similar position so dont worry about driving anyone nuts I can empathise

I have heard that medicals are cheaper and maybe easier to organise as more NZ GPs are able to do medicals rather than a select panel

nice man from NZ house told me to expect PR in NZ to take 3/4 months to complete (if all goes to plan) and work permits can be sorted within hours provided all paperwork in place

he also pointed out very strongly that when I go in on holiday visa then I am on Holiday, when Ive got a job offer if I have time available to wait 3/4 months for PR do so if not apply for work permit but stressed work permit is for temporary (not permanant) stay. When I have work permit in hand then apply for PR.

all sounds so simple doesn't it
    pm if you want to chat about anything

Quote Originally Posted by 5kings View Post
    I was thinking are medicals etc considerably cheaper really. I sort of knew the main expenses would be the same.

Thanks though!

Helen
    Ok, well speaking as someone who had the medicals in the UK and in NZ, I can tell you that yes on average I would say that you can get cheaper medicals in NZ than you can in the UK.

The figures aren't much cheaper e.g. NZ$450 compared to £250 (approx) and probably not enough to justify the extra risks.

The medicals in NZ seem to be more thorough (ours were anyway) and therefore more likely to actually discover an issue that requires extra testing which will then add considerably to the costs.

Normally, I would say to definitely do it all from your home country just in case there is a problem that stops you from going to NZ and also because you would need the medical anyway so you can get free healthcare in NZ (or you would need to get travel / health insurance). But, if you are looking to have a 6 month holiday in NZ regardless then it doesn't sound a bad way to do it - overall though I doubt it will be any cheaper.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanW99 View Post
    Ok, well speaking as someone who had the medicals in the UK and in NZ, I can tell you that yes on average I would say that you can get cheaper medicals in NZ than you can in the UK.

The figures aren't much cheaper e.g. NZ$450 compared to £250 (approx) and probably not enough to justify the extra risks.

The medicals in NZ seem to be more thorough (ours were anyway) and therefore more likely to actually discover an issue that requires extra testing which will then add considerably to the costs.

Normally, I would say to definitely do it all from your home country just in case there is a problem that stops you from going to NZ and also because you would need the medical anyway so you can get free healthcare in NZ (or you would need to get travel / health insurance). But, if you are looking to have a 6 month holiday in NZ regardless then it doesn't sound a bad way to do it - overall though I doubt it will be any cheaper.

Ian
    Thanks Ian,

Sounds like the 'saving' would be minimal then. Best we keep saving and go for everything from the UK I think. I am just trying to get as much info as possible to make the right decision.

If we had no kids, then I think coming to NZ as visitors then sorting everything would be the way, but as it is (3 kids) I am nervous about being too risky.

I appreciate the advice,

Helen

The actual cost of the PR "application" (i.e. what you pay with the ITA) is, I believe, $1400 in NZ and $1800 in the UK.
    I think EOI and Migrant Levies are the same.