Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: bare feets at school

Quote Originally Posted by dharder View Post
    Ours only have to wear shoes on the way to school and back, they take off their shoes all year round (not just a winter thing) once entering the classroom.

Daniela

Our school does not allow children to wear bare feet at school - that must be very regional? Too cold down here for that malarkey!!!

Tanya

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya View Post
    Our school does not allow children to wear bare feet at school - that must be very regional?
    Interesting! Every time I raise concern I'm being told that this is an NZ thing, so I should just go with the flow...

Mind you, looking at the state of their feet at the end of the school day, I'm glad I just put the kids in the bath and don't have to clean shoes as well. Oh, and thank god for crocs! Fashion disaster, but oh so handy. Can't think of another shoe that they put on with filthy feet and then just rinse them at then end of the day...

They'll be tightening the school uniform rules next term, I wonder if we can still put them in crocs then (here's hoping).

Daniela

Our school does not allow children to wear bare feet at school - that must be very regional? Too cold down here for that malarkey!!!

Tanya
    I suspect most schools will inevitably go that way. I listened to my sons teacher telling the kids quite firmly that they need to come to her class in shoes and suitable winter clothing or she would phone their parents.

I think in ten years very few schools will allow bare feet, except in the sandpit!

Cheers

Tia

Tanya
    emmm, I am in canterbury and my son's school got signs in every single rooms as well as library asking them to remove shoes (& coat) all year around. But have to say that my son's school is a rural school with just 180 kids, so must be muddy shoes issue? they are allow to wear slippers...but my son prefer not to wear slippers

Quote Originally Posted by nippa&pippa View Post
    emmm, I am in canterbury and my son's school got signs in every single rooms as well as library asking them to remove shoes (& coat) all year around. But have to say that my son's school is a rural school with just 180 kids, so must be muddy shoes issue? they are allow to wear slippers...but my son prefer not to wear slippers
    Sophia - I realise you are in Canterbury! - What I was referring to was dharder saying they take them off all year round upon entering the classroom - but I am only speaking from experience of the 2 schools my children have been to since we have been in CHCH - clearly not at all referring to your school - It was my thought process that said its too cold for that - and IMHO there would be no way that I would allow my children to run around all day in bare feet at school!

There is obviously a "regional" difference between city and Rural too!

Sophia - I realise you are in Canterbury! - What I was referring to was dharder saying they take them off all year round upon entering the classroom - but I am only speaking from experience of the 2 schools my children have been to since we have been in CHCH - clearly not at all referring to your school - It was my thought process that said its too cold for that - and IMHO there would be no way that I would allow my children to run around all day in bare feet at school!

There is obviously a "regional" difference between city and Rural too!
    other things is even it was very cold one morning during school visits (Helen will remember this, the morning that she got lost!!) and teacher didn't put heater on, just put extra layer of clothes on instead, it was so cold in mobile classroom. Seem didn't affect the kids with bare feets!!

Daughters school are also no footwear in doors at all. They even send them outside to play on the field and in sandpit barefoot, so their feet are filthy by end of day.....yuck!! One of the new parents went mad the other day when the class teacher sent the kids out at the end of the day to clear up the buckets etc from the sandpit (as they do every day) in the pouring rain and told the kids off for 'messing around' putting their shoes and coats on. If it had been my daughters class I think I would have been furious too, but I have noticed since then they have been a bit more careful.

Since it got colder my daughter now takes slippers in....her choice, and she is the only one in her class to do so, but maybe it will become a new trend as some of her classmates think her cat slippers are 'neat'...

As a teacher - it was better to have the kids take their shoes off at the door than trail all sorts of dirt in ....but the school were equally adamant that the kids had shoes on while outside.

Makes me laugh STILL when i see people wandering around the supermarket in their bare feet!
    You will never ever get me to do that......

Now pyjamas..........another story.....

Quote Originally Posted by Potato View Post
    Oh yeah, you'll love it here that's for sure. You see people barefoot in the supermarket, IN WINTER! And, in general, the country is pretty tidy so you're not going to step on a needle or broken glass.
    haha thats one reason i stopped wearing flip flops around town. My friend got a needle in his foot. Luckily we discovered that HIV and other worries do not live long outside of the human body.

I don't think the barefoot trend is something that is going to disappear anytime soon. The kids going to school barefoot now are raised not seeing anything wrong with it and they'll be the parents of the next generation feeling it's fine for their kids to do the same.

The reason things changed in other countries was probably the association of bare feet with poverty, an association which doesn't exist here. I know I've seen middle-aged men hopping out of expensive Mercedes to shop in bare feet.

At the high school I teach at the kids had a cross-country day and just about all of them chose to run barefoot. However every one of the British born students I know of brought running shoes and said they didn't want to step on glass, a concern that few of the Kiwi kids had.

There was a podiatrist a couple months ago who said Kiwi kids were harming their feet by running without shoes and urged schools to change rules but I read that all the principals asked just laughed the suggestion off and said kids preferred bare feet and it was better to keep them active than make sure they were wearing correct footwear.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast