Thread: Invercargill Hospital

Default Invercargill Hospital

Anyone got any experience of using the hospital at Invercargill? I realise that's an odd question, but my little sister's just been admitted to be induced for her first baby, and I'm worrying about her from the other side of the world. Can anyone on here reassure me that it's a good hospital?!

Parsley
    (the frantically panicking auntie to be)

No idea about the hospital, but all good wishes for your sister and her little one.

Thank you - it must be good - Baby D arrived about 5 hours ago and is just fine (mum's knackered, of course)

Congratulations! (Knackered for a new mum is totally normal.)

So what have you got - a niece or a nephew?

A wee boy (9lb 1oz), name undecided as yet. The biggest bummer is that I won't get to see him until we do our recce visit in 2009, but he's fine and healthy, so that's what counts!

Well, welcome to the world to him!

Tell your sister to get a webcam set up asap. Then the little lad will get used to the sound and look of you as soon as he's noticing anything, and you will see him and hear all his little sounds.

Ooh - I hadn't thought of that. Thanks! I'll wait until she settled back at home to chat with her about that.

As a slight aside, I've no idea if there's an NZ equivalent of this:

http://www.mypublisher.uk.com/

but we're planning to do an album for Great-Granny of the wee man, as it's unlikely she'll ever actually get to see him in the flesh (so to speak). I've used this for doing a book of holiday photos and can recommend them - it makes a really good reminder of good times etc in a lovely presentation.

Talking

hi sorry haven't logged on here for a while - life with kids overtaking my free time!

I live just outside of Invercargill, on the way to Bluff

Southland or Kew hospital as its also known has so far done nothing but impress me!

I have not had the pleasure of the maternity ward - other than meeting one of the doctors riding at my friends trekking centre - she gets lots of doctors coming to ride.

But the hospital itself is clean spacious and has very polite helpful staff, my son has visited the dermatology ward, blood testing was done in less than 5 mins (I didn't even get a paragraph of the article read in the magazine!) and I have taken my OH to the emergency ward when he fell off his horse, they were great. seen in 20 mins.

Some southlanders moan at waiting for an hour when its busy - but I say go to the UK and see what a NHS hospital is like and you will never moan again!

Congrats on becoming an auntie (I am expecting my sisters bump to arrive around my birthday in October!)

Kat
    Last edited by katandbob; 11th July 2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: added location

Thanks Kat - I feel better knowing that someone has had good experiences there - I spend a lot of time in NHS hospitals and find it hard sometimes to imagine how good/bad/different other countries' medical services could be. I think the only thing that's going to annoy my sister is the lengthy drive back to Arrowtown! She wasn't able to have the wee guy in Queenstown, and I can't imagine that a drive across the Southern Alps at this time of year whilst heavily pregnant would have been a barrel of laughs

I hope your sister lives near you so you can have all the fun to going to see her wee one - I've got to wait until next year's reccie trip!

Webcams are brilliant for keeping the family together. Our grandchildren are in NZ, and when we visited for the first time that they would remember, they came straight to us and knew us, because they've been used their whole lives to bringing things to the computer to show us, and watching what we're showing them on the screen.