Thread: All about Rolleston

Arrow All about Rolleston

I'm appreciative of the fact that many people who are moving or thinking of moving tend to ask the same questions. Long term members must get asked question after question about schools, houses, ameneties, districts etc for lots of different places in lots of different threads, so I'm going to try to be different and start a thread that hopefully some may be able to contribute too, while others will be able to research at a later date and find answers to questions easily. A one stop thread for Rolleston!

A real-estate rental search will undoubtedly reveal modern property at fairly attractive prices in and around Rolleston, but I want to know more about this suburb.

I'm looking for the usual and the unusual and would like to know about things such as (but not limited too)

• Shopping facilities
    • Transport links
    • Property - types old/new construction materials
    • Water/Sewerage services
    • Cable
    • Phone/mobile phone signals
    • Schools
    • Entertainment
    • Power supply - electric/gas/oil
    You know the sort of stuff to let us know - especially if locals take it for granted. If you have something to add about Rolleston, please let add it by reply below.

I don't live in Rolleston but just 10-15mins drive away south, however Rolleston is my nearer town with supermarket at moment. I tend go to Lincoln for Dr, dentist, kindy etc. So I will try my best answer these questions.

* Shopping facilities
    New Worlds with several shops attached to it - cafe, Pharmacy, dentist, video shop, hairdresser, chinese take-away, pizza shop, beauty place, estate agents (M&A), insurance company.
    Then across road to another mall (very new called Rolleston Square), they got Hammer hardware, liquer store, indian take-away, cafe, fruit and veg shop, italian place (run by chinese ) and clothes shop.
    few km away there is post shop, dairy, beauty place, computer shop and petrol station (BP)

* Transport links
    So far, just bus. But looking into have train service as rolleston got station!! but it is for trans-alpine service and tolls train company

* Property - types old/new construction materials
    Both, you can see old part of Rolleston before lots, lots new built, one of very fast growing towns of canterbury...too many houses been built in last few years, very frightened for me as wondering how far they will stop before reach my house

* Water/Sewerage services
    Town got own services, for further info, look at selwyn council's website.

* Cable
    Don't know that one BUT knowing the size of town - very likely

* Phone/mobile phone signals
    No problems, I used my mobile there alot

* Schools
    Just 1 primary school at moment called Rolleston School. BUT there will be building another primary school soon because of fast growing number of houses built mean the school is getting overpopulated soon. Then they will build high school after 2010(?).

(got this in file for another family thinking moving to Rolleston, can't find one about high school)
    At the moment, some children go to rural schools outside rolleston as I knew few go to Springston school, another go to broadfield's. High school at the moment is Lincoln for this areas till their own school build.
    There is no Kindy for this areas, nearer is Burnham or Lincoln. They have private preschool instead.

* Entertainment
    Don't know that one but there is lots on with community side of it at Rolleston's community centre which got gym in it!!, I haven't been involved any.

* Power supply - electric/gas/oil
    For this size of town, likely they got all of them.

IMHO Do I like Rolleston? good place to shops or join babies&toddlers' clubs but too far snobbish for me to live there, sorry.
    Last edited by nippa&pippa; 9th July 2008 at 11:51 AM.

Rolleston is pretty much a new town about 25 minutes south of Christchurch. The original settlement was a few buildings around a railway station. It is now a medium sized town and there is not a lot there but acres of new houses. There is a railway station but no regular passenger service into Chch. It is on State Highway 1 which, I hear, gets very busy at commuter times.

Smile

Hi MR TW,
    We have lived in Rolleston for nearly a year now.
    It has lots of reserves so great for kids,my girls play for the Rolleston netball team and have tennis lessons in the summer,there are courts on the main reserve.
    Its very popular for Brits,perhaps thats where it gets its snobbish image from,don't know why because to me its not snobbish at all.
    The house and land prices are coming down in price so more for your money.
    The houses are very similar but on different size sections def a buyers market here,rentals are mostly new, warm modern houses and they are also coming down in price per week.
    I don't know how much bigger Rolleston can get tho because the land is'nt selling at the moment.
    There are 2 pubs out here but we have only been in the Rock and sat outside in the summer with the girls for a drink.
    There is a very good newcomers network here too which has been going for a year now and they meet up once a month and arrange outings and picnics etc.
    My opinion is Rolleston is very friendly,lots of space for kids to play,reserves and parks are everywhere,needs that new school and a kindy here is a must also a swimming pool which locals are trying to get in the near future.
    Hope this helps.
    Tracy.

I think everyone have different opinion about each towns in canterbury because every towns is so different.

Tracy, fancy to meet up after school holiday? not had meet up for long while now apart from bump in New Worlds.. PM me when you like to have coffee again? at your? or are you going to puzzle thingy on thursday afternoon?

These are great, really useful posts, thank you, just the sort of contributions I was looking for, keep em coming

Quote Originally Posted by steviec View Post
    needs that new school and a kindy here is a must also a swimming pool which locals are trying to get in the near future.
    Tracy, did you know Lincoln also battle for pool too...I wonder which town will win for have a big main pool in selwyn areas?

Watch out.. Darfield is in the running - we've got a pool but it's outdoor!! (even Sheffield township has a pool!! And Glentunnel...!!)

Not a fan of Rolleston in that it's not the sort of place I personally would prefer to live. Think Milton Keynes. It's one huge housing estate (albeit some very very nice houses!), but small plots etc.

However, if that's something you like then it has great everyday shops and facilities and appears to be constantly improving/evolving in that respect, (I travel there from near Darfield to use the New World sometimes) and is good commuting distance from Chch, reasonable prices, very well kept (think posh UK estate - all detached), and has a great expat community.

That said - you don't have to live in Rolleston itself to get the facilities - there's plenty of rural houses for sale in the area too - Springston/Leeston/Burnham etc.

I don't care who wins so long as we get a lovely clean new pool for the local kids.
    Tracy.