Thread: Car lease vs buy

Default Car lease vs buy

I am coming from the states where a lot of people lease cars. Something I didn't think about before and may be a dumb question, but can you lease cars in New Zealand? If so, would you recommend it for someone that is only going to be there for 2 years? When I am there I plan to do a decent amount of driving to see all the amazing things NZ has to offer.

Default lease?

I wouldnt even think about leasing in Nz , In UK it was worth leasing for business etc but cars are so cheap here it would make better sense to buy the equivelent of a lease fee for your 2 years get aa cover and sell at end of your visit.

It depends on whether or not you want a new car. If you must have a new car I would say leasing is a good option (to be investigated further), but if a secondhand car will do, then buy. Cars depreciate like lead balloons here.

Many of the car companies offer lease option or similar e.g. Honda lease direct

I remeber that a forum member in the past thought that leasing from Honda was a good idea for their circumstances. Might be worth doing a search for peoples opinions?

Ian

That was me. It worked out cheaper for us to keep the purchase price in a high interest account and pay the lease. You end up paying for servicing, tyres, rego and depreciation in bite sized pieces over the term of the lease, as well as being able to keep some rainy day money.

I also nearly kicked the bucket in a head on, so promised myself the absolutely safest possible vehicle for my wife and kids to travel in. Leasing was the only way our cash flow at the time would enable us to do it. We chose a Honda Odyssey.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick88 View Post
    That was me. It worked out cheaper for us to keep the purchase price in a high interest account and pay the lease. You end up paying for servicing, tyres, rego and depreciation in bite sized pieces over the term of the lease, as well as being able to keep some rainy day money.

I also nearly kicked the bucket in a head on, so promised myself the absolutely safest possible vehicle for my wife and kids to travel in. Leasing was the only way our cash flow at the time would enable us to do it. We chose a Honda Odyssey.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by jandk View Post
    I wouldnt even think about leasing in Nz , In UK it was worth leasing for business etc but cars are so cheap here it would make better sense to buy the equivelent of a lease fee for your 2 years get aa cover and sell at end of your visit.
    Wouldn't say cars are cheap here unless you wanted a high-k import that needs wof's every six months. Personally find that a bit of a myth