Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doc Requirements for primary teacher

Default Doc Requirements for primary teacher

My girlfriend and I are moving to Auckland in October 2008. I am coming on a work visa as an accountant and should be able to support the 2 of us for a little while on my salary. We are still in the visa application phase and hoping that we get approved as partners and she can come under my visa. She has just finished up her Masters degree in education to teach primary school here in the US. We are hoping that she can wait to find a job teaching once we arrive as we are hoping she can work close to where we live. Does this sound like a good idea? Based on other threads on here it seems like others are having troubles finding teaching positions before they arrive.

What documentation should she bring to apply for a teaching job? letters of recommendation? original transcripts? Other? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Danny

I think a copy of your FBI clearance would be a good idea. I don't know if this would need to be done again and separately for a teaching registration, or whether the one used for the immigration would do.

Danny - sorry - would it were that simple! You now need to start navigating your way around the dreaded NZQA website as she will have to all her qualifications assessed by them before she starts applying for jobs. If you are going to wait until you move then she needs to have every possible document relating to her qualifications with her. Have a look at the site: the process is so time consuming that there is a segment on NZQA all to itself on this site. Post away and you will get plenty of help with the process.

Hi Danny
    as well as getting qualifications assessed by NZQA your girlfriend also needs to be registered by the NZ Teaching Council.
    More forms and more money but she won't get a job without it.

She can send off for both at the same time BUT get a certified copy of certificates before sending them off to NZQA. (Full instructions and guidance for filling in on NZTC website)

NZQA - send originals that you will get back
    NZTC - send copies as you will not get them back.

Both departments talk to each other so once your quals have been assessed by NZQA it will be passed onto NZTC

hope that helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick88 View Post
    I think a copy of your FBI clearance would be a good idea. I don't know if this would need to be done again and separately for a teaching registration, or whether the one used for the immigration would do.
    Despite official checks for teaching you still need an up to date police check.

What do you mean by up to date police check? What is considered up to date? 3 months? 6 months?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick88 View Post
    No idea, but have to say,,,,,,

Can I get FBI clearance, having never stepped out of an airport in the USA, always a place I was just passing through, but FBI clearance would be quite cool. I could show it to my friends (if I had any)

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by dkilgo00 View Post
    What do you mean by up to date police check? What is considered up to date? 3 months? 6 months?
    6 months and you need one for Teachers Council for registration and then another for the ITA unless original one still in date. I missed it by a couple of weeks so had to apply again!

Too bad you just missed it. I hope that we will be ok. We just received ours for the visa requirements and she will hopefully be applying for the teachers council shortly. Thanks for your help.

What is the traditional school year in NZ? If we arrive in October/November will it be difficult for her to find work?

That's prob. the best time to look as should be lots of jobs advertised then ready for Feb start. Keep an eye on the Education gazette or get in touch with Oasis or select Education who recruit for Auckland, the latter I found most helpful.
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast