Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excess Baggage Advice

Default Excess Baggage Advice

Hope someone can assist?

We have booked our flights to NZ with Air NZ flying from Manchester to Napier via Hong Kong on 12th August. As we will be going with PR I am trying to get extra baggage allowance.

I dropped Air NZ a quick mail and got the following reply:

For flights from Heathrow to New Zealand via Los Angeles, the free checked in baggage allowance is 2 pieces of 23kg each, totalling 46kg per person.

Flying via Hong Kong, the free allowance is 1 bag of 20kg per person.

Has anyone managed to get this increased???

Thanks,

Tim.

People may have in the past, but I know AirNZ are currently being pretty strict about baggage allowances, as the more baggage a flight carries the higher the fuel cost.
    As fuel prices have escalated they are having to ensure that all other areas are fully analysed and scrutinised to ensure all costs are met, which means cutting back on allowing extra baggage etc.

I doubt you will get Air NZ to shift on this as its just an enticement to use the LA route rather than the HK one - not a migrant allowance or anything similar.

No harm in trying I guess though - if you have no reason to use the HK route you could ask to be transferred to the LA route on the same dates perhaps?

I'd try and get shifted to the LA route. The 46kg allowance is fairly typical of international travel on Star Alliance members to North America. Until a couple of years ago it was 60kg.

If you're stuck on the HK route, remember that ANZ permit an additional 10kg per person for sporting goods

An extra 10kg baggage allowance is given for sporting equipment free of charge. Examples include bicycles, golf clubs, skis, snowboards. Only one item/piece of sporting equipment per person qualifies for the free baggage allowance and the allowance may not be pooled. Excess baggage charges apply once the free allowance has been exceeded.
    http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/befor...ized-items.htm

This does NOT apply to the LA route as this is considered as included in the 46kg limit. We've been told before that our ski boots, jackets etc are defined as "sporting equipment".

I called AIr NZ last week and they informed me that every additional piece of baggage is £150 and you cannot book room in advance etc and its subject to availability.

Hi - when I spoke to singapore airlines and air nz last night re extra baggage allowance air nz saaid not through Hong Kong but ok through LA . I was told this is the rules of Hong Kong and not to do with Airnz ? Singapore airlines would double baggage allowance with the appropriate visa in passport and 1 st entry into NZ .

if it is not important to go via Hong Kong and you want extra baggage then go for LA - I hear the queues can be quite long though .

also I asked about an internal flight in NZ AND was told extra luggage would be ok if this was on the same ticket as the international flight . I do not think singapore airlines can do this so I must check with them what happens then .

I presume you book internal flight with air new zealand and pay extra for baggage .

perhaps air nz is looking better after all - just not keen on LA airport

Tim - have you booked a single ticket or a return? If you have booked a return (as many peole do) then get them to change your return ticket to come back through LA. So long as LA is on one of the routes then you will have the baggage allowance that applies to LA. If you have a single, then I can't help you further, sorry. There is a threat about double baggage allowance that might be worth a search on.

Quote Originally Posted by 3littlepikes View Post
    also I asked about an internal flight in NZ AND was told extra luggage would be ok if this was on the same ticket as the international flight . I do not think singapore airlines can do this so I must check with them what happens then .

I presume you book internal flight with air new zealand and pay extra for baggage .

perhaps air nz is looking better after all - just not keen on LA airport
    Absolutely - all the flights on your itinerary would be covered by the "2 piece" rule if you go via LA. Just remind those checking you in on an internal flight that you're traveling on that rule; they usually just ask for your itinerary as often they have to enter it manually, especially if their are flight changes because of weather, etc. As icemaiden says, only one leg has to be via LA, and it really isn't that bad!!

Hi
    I have just rung air NZ and been told even though I am emigrating and going on the LA flight it is restricted to 20kg this is strange My original query was does this also apply to San francisco may be I will try again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast