Thread: Renewing work visa

Question Renewing work visa

I spoke to NZ Immigration today and they told me that a working visa will run out within 3yrs, I asked If needed could the visa be renewed before that end date. Answer NO, If after working in New Zealand for 3yrs you wish to stay, you'll have to have obtained PR. End of story.

This surprised me as I was told differently at the London NZ EXPO, they told me there that work permits could be extended to six, and then 9 yrs if required.

It doesn't matter too much to me as I hope to gain my PR within the next two years max.

Just thought I'd mention it to see whether other people have had conflicting advice on this?

Also what do they mean? Surely I wouldn't be banned from working in NZ after that! Would I need to come back to the UK for a while and then apply for another work visa? Or is that it, you get three yrs working in NZ and then you get PR or you leave, never to return

I was under the impression that we could renew a 3 year work permit for another 3 years...................that's what our immigration officer led us to believe anyway. Very confusing and worrying if that's the case.

Oh dear,
    why didn't you apply for PR earlier?

I was informed too that you could renew the visa after the allotted time. Good job the wife took over the main applicant role on WTR after my WP expired.

Kim

Does anyone else know about this?

Is it possible to renew a 3yr work visa/permit to a 6yr and then 9yrs???

Or do we have to get our PR within the first 3yrs?

I think it depends on whether the work permit is for continuous employment with one employer. If you have changed employer then you can renew beyond the 3 years.

I wondered if that might be the case, makes sense.

Thanks Kerry