Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cost of lube service/oil change

Default cost of lube service/oil change

what would one expect to pay for a lube service here? i dropped the car off yesterday at a local garage and when i went back to pick it up, i about choked when i saw the cost. actually, it was not the cost of the oil or the filter or other items they used that bothered me, but the cost for the labor. i was charged $60 for 45 minutes of labor. is this normal with an oil change, or was i being taken for since i am the supposedly "rich" american?

i guess we got quite spoiled in the States...we could take the car in to jiffy lube for an oil change and 30 min later, be back on the road. it was relatively inexpensive and much easier then having jason do it at home.

i am pretty certain that we will not make that mistake again, and i will be having jason show me next time so i can change it myself.

cheers!
    laurel

Ouch that does seem a bit steep

I thought it was cheap, but I’m used to paying £38 in labour that’s $98 nz

Have a look at how to change your oil here

http://www.greatlandofalaska.com/humor/jokes.html

Bob

I didn't think it was too unreasonable either given that the guy who cuts our lawn would charge $50 per hour for general clearing in the garden (rubbish removal etc) and the landscapers I talked to charge $75 +GST for drawing up plans.

Then again I get paid $15/hr as a teacher aide so go figure!

Anneliese

$75 for quote for a landscaper - we had someone come in and wants $400 for him to draw up a plan for our little garden!!

About equivalent to UK cost too - always sound much worse when expressed in dollars

Quote Originally Posted by mgbridges View Post
    I didn't think it was too unreasonable either given that the guy who cuts our lawn would charge $50 per hour for general clearing in the garden (rubbish removal etc) and the landscapers I talked to charge $75 +GST for drawing up plans.

Then again I get paid $15/hr as a teacher aide so go figure!

Anneliese
    Crikey at those rates it's got to be worth flying up from ChCh to offer my services

Quote Originally Posted by Steadybears View Post
    $75 for quote for a landscaper - we had someone come in and wants $400 for him to draw up a plan for our little garden!!
    Thats $75 +GST per hour for drawing up plans. They reckon to do the plans for what we want is going to cost between $2 - $2.5 K !!!

Anneliese

We pay 65 dollars p/h for a back street garage who's pretty useless. Was paying 120 p/h at a dealer. My salary isn't 2.5 times UK so works out more for me

thanks guys for the info. yes, if memory serves me right, back in the states i could get an oil change on my 4x4 toyota 4runner for about $50 US. that was for the service and the labor. here i paid $138 NZ for the service and then an additional $60 for the labor. i did call the garage before i took the car in to get a quote, and they did not mention the cost of the labor, but he did mention that it would take about 40 minutes to do the work. so i was thinking that the price he quoted me included the labor. now i know better...

although, the gentleman was nice enough to give me and the kids a ride home and picked me up when my car was ready.

cheers!
    laurel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast